Why I still love Duke

Last year, my final article of the semester was titled “Why I love Duke.” In many ways, it was a very fitting end to freshman year and to a semester’s worth of Chronicling with the blissful naivety that only a first-year student could possess. I went on and on about why Duke was the best place on Earth and why I loved virtually every aspect of this university, often ignoring the abounding flaws in our Gothic Wonderland. This semester, my column has taken a much harsher tone. I’ve criticized the administration at length for their lack of transparency and refusal to seriously consider student input. Not surprisingly, I was condemned for being too negative. Go figure.

First, let me be clear about something: I’m still mad. I’m mad that the administration has decided to make my sophomore year a transition year. I’m furious that a “transition year” means a year’s worth of social engineering experiments in a worthless attempt to change the social scene at Duke. I’m livid that the new house model will give students less control over their housing options under the guise of building community. And I’m pissed as hell that every transition is executed with the transparency of a brick wall.

Yet, beyond all that, I’m hopeful. I’m optimistic because I still know I chose Duke for all the right reasons. When it comes down to it, it isn’t the administrators or the professors that make a school. I chose Duke for the students.

For years, the student voice defined the culture at Duke. Certainly, that culture is far from perfect, but allowing students to take an active role in shaping their surroundings created a palpable enthusiasm at this university. It was that enthusiasm that I felt when I first came to Duke.

Unfortunately, I’ve seen that passion wane over the last few months. I’ve heard so many students say that, as much as they used to love Duke, they would now tell prospective students to look elsewhere. Students no longer feel that the administration has their interests at heart, and many have given up on having their voices heard. For a student body as bright and opinionated as Duke’s, this kind of apathy just isn’t acceptable.

I sometimes write scathing articles because I can’t stand idle knowing that I let my school change for the worse. Many students are afraid of public dissent: The idea of challenging the administration is terrifying with possible implications. I’m just some guy that writes an article twice a month; administrators can easily turn the other cheek. I would be flattered if they cared enough about my opinion to try to stifle it. In the end, though, I am just one student and they can ignore my columns. But when enough people sound the alarm, people start to take notice.

The proposed Merchants on Points modifications from the beginning of this semester are a good example. When Duke Dining Services restricted the delivery options before 7 p.m. on food points, the backlash was enormous and the decision was quickly rescinded. At a certain point, ignoring your detractors’ opinions just isn’t an option anymore.

I’m not asking students to storm the Allen Building with torches, but we can’t let Duke become a place where students are afraid to voice their concerns. Our actions shaped Duke University’s past, and they will be integral to its success in the future. So I’m making a special plea to every unsatisfied student. Join a focus group or committee. Write a letter to The Chronicle. Write a letter to the Board of Trustees. Do something to make your voice heard, because I know the enthusiasm that first brought me to Duke isn’t dead. It might just be dormant.

In the end, loving this school and criticizing it aren’t mutually exclusive. Pointing out its flaws and being part of the solution make it stronger. Tailgate may be a thing of the past, but I refuse to believe that the students’ fighting spirit has gone with it.

Here’s how I see it: It’s time to make the administrators sweat. It’s good for them and it’s good for Duke.

Scott Briggs is a Trinity sophomore. This is his final column of the semester.

Share and discuss “Why I still love Duke” on social media.