Krzyzewski, Summitt honored as SI Sportsman, Sportswoman of the year

Duke head men's basketball coach Mike Krzyzewski and Tennessee head women's basketball coach Pat Summitt have been named the Sports Illustrated co-Sportsman of the Year, the magazine announced today.

Summitt owns the Division I basketball all-time coaching wins record with 1,075 in her 38 seasons with the Lady Volunteers. Krzyzewski's 907 career victories rank him atop all Division I men's basketball coaches, with five more than his former coach at Army, Bob Knight.

"No matter how good you are, you're never better than the game," Krzyzewski told the Dan Patrick Show. "It's such an amazing honor."

"Obviously, this is a tremendous honor," Summitt said in a press release. "I am so privileged to share it with such a great coach in Mike Krzyzewski. During our careers, we have both been fortunate to work with so many talented student-athletes who were driven to excel both on and off the court.

"For me, this recognition is a direct reflection of the outstanding young women who have worn the orange and white Lady Vol jersey of the University of Tennessee; the coaching staffs I have worked with throughout my career and the supportive administration at UT."

Krzyzewski and Summitt join UCLA's John Wooden and North Carolina's Dean Smith as the only college basketball coaches to have won the award. The two will be honored in Manhattan Tuesday night.

Share and discuss “Krzyzewski, Summitt honored as SI Sportsman, Sportswoman of the year” on social media.