DukeEthicist: sorry for partying.

In light of the recent focus on a certain frat party at Duke, what are the ethical responsibilities of partying?

Simply put, we have a right to party. We have a responsibility to work hard, and a right to unwind. Partying inevitably is one way we do that. Still, that right is accompanied by a responsibility to abide by the same standards to which we are held in class, when we’re working hard to earn our right to party. To “unwind” should not be synonymous with doing away with a regard for basic ethics. Partying should not be a proxy for disrespect. To mock and simulate historical conflicts in such a degrading context is nothing short of offensive, to multiple groups and people. And, in many ways, it is exclusive: “Indians” don’t want to attend a party that belittles them. But don’t they have a right to party too?

In effect, I’m not defending any particular group, or any particular demographic. Rather, I’m defending the right to party, held by all individuals equally. And I’m arguing that when your right to party hurts another’s, you create a problem worth discussing—either in The Chronicle, or on Jezebel. Give our parties the national reputation they deserve—we have fun. But we’re also good people, with good intentions, great ambitions, and a sincere respect for people, places, and cultures of all varieties. We can celebrate these people, places, and cultures without making a mockery of them. More importantly, we can party hard without making a mockery of ourselves.

Happy Holidays, Duke. Stay good.

The Duke Ethicist is a project of the Honor Council which responds to ethical questions posed by the Duke community. Our purpose is to provide a medium through which students may anonymously seek advice or spark dialogue. Got a question? Send it to dukeethicist@gmail.com, and look out for a response on our blog.

Share and discuss “DukeEthicist: sorry for partying.” on social media.