Dialogue on Palestinian culture needed

Pi Kappa Phi, singled out as they were, certainly provoked a lot of outrage on our campus and on our collective Facebook recently. As a member of the Duke community, I am always concerned when a colleague of mine is offended. I sympathize completely with Nicole and Amber in their complaints.

This type of dialogue is important for our development, not only as a community, but as individuals. This recent uproar, though, has painfully brought to mind a double standard that exists on our campus. While other ethnic groups on campus enjoy the ability to express their identities, cultures, histories and, more importantly, enjoy the ability to point out insensitivities regarding their culture and identity, Arabs, specifically Palestinian Arabs, enjoy no such privilege. For four years, I have been a part of this community, and I have witnessed events happening overseas that, at the very least, should merit some dialogue and discussion, yet very little arises. While the University has been very protective of free expression and the free exchange of ideas, unfortunately, others are less receptive.

The challenge lies not with this University alone, though, but with a pervasive public mentality that to be “pro-Palestinian” means you are inherently “anti-Israeli” and, implicitly, “anti-peace.” It is impossible for someone to begin a dialogue or correct an error, as other groups have, because our history remains largely denied in this country, and our culture is portrayed as violent, backward and anti-Semitic. I expected this University to be able to rise above such willful ignorance, yet the disrespect and discrediting remarks directed against pro-Palestinian events demonstrate that this position persists. I’ve stood with Duke’s own Students for Justice in Palestine (SJP) chapter as they held various events, and I’ve seen the smirks that greet their (oft-labeled) “propaganda.” And of course, similar disbelief prevailed even in the days before SJP (founded last year) pushed these issues forward on campus. If Duke is willing to take the claims and complaints of one persecuted people as legitimate, why deny another?

Forever Duke.

Ibrahim Maali, Trinity ‘12

Share and discuss “Dialogue on Palestinian culture needed” on social media.