Virginia Tech Season Preview: Hokies recover from injury-plagued 2011-12

Senior Dorenzo Hudson will be a veteran on a young Hokie squad.

Every year since 2007, Virginia Tech has fallen just short of the NCAA Tournament. This season, the Hokies return three starters—but the loss of their two best pieces from a year ago may make it hard for them to be any better than their seemingly perpetual on-the-bubble status.

Replacing the scoring and leadership of graduated seniors Malcolm Delaney and Jeff Allen will be head coach Seth Greenberg’s biggest task. Delaney, who finished his career third all-time on the Virginia Tech scoring list, was the Hokie’s go-to scorer in late-game situations, and Allen was an All-ACC second-team selection last season. The pair combined for 46 percent of the team’s points, 38 percent of its rebounds and 46 percent of its assists.

But even as they lose that production, they gain back several talented players as well. By the end of last season, injuries and other issues left Greenberg with just seven scholarship players on the bench and only one player taller than 6-foot-7. Seniors Dorenzo Hudson and sophomore Cadarian Raines will return to the Hokies after medically redshirting the 2010-11 campaign. J.T. Thompson was also set to return as a fifth-year senior until he tore his ACL Thursday.

Virginia Tech will also rely on a recruiting class that ESPN ranked 12th in the nation. The group of four rookies is highlighted by small forward Dorian Finney-Smith, ESPN’s No. 18 overall prospect. The skilled 6-foot-7 forward has the ability to score both inside and outside the 3-point line while providing length on the defensive end.

There are many question marks for a Hokie squad that will look to freshman and recently-injured players to replace the production of two star seniors. But one thing is certain—with only one player taller than 6-foot-8, it will lack the interior size and strength to face taller, more physical ACC opponents.

Despite this size deficiency and the roster’s youth, Virginia Tech has the talent to be one of the final 68, but in the competitive ACC the Hokies may once again find themselves on the bubble come March.

Share and discuss “Virginia Tech Season Preview: Hokies recover from injury-plagued 2011-12” on social media.