UNC Season Preview: Loaded Tar Heels could add to trophy case

Harrison Barnes chose North Carolina over Duke before his freshman season, then chose the Tar Heels over the NBA as a sophomore.

With all five starters returning from last year’s Elite Eight squad, a roster that includes eight McDonald’s All Americans and a two-time national champion head coach, North Carolina enters the season as the favorite to win the ACC and the national championship.

Sophomore point guard Kendall Marshall is an unorthodox lefty without much scoring ability, but his creative passing will pace the Tar Heel attack. After starting the year 12-5, Marshall was inserted into the starting lineup and quickly turned UNC’s season around, leading the Tar Heels to a 17-3 record to finish the season while averaging an ACC-best 6.2 assists per game last year.

Perhaps the biggest question mark for the Tar Heels will be outside shooting. Alongside Marshall in the backcourt will be junior Dexter Strickland, an athletic shooting guard and lock-down defender who brings quickness but not shooting prowess. Sophomore shooting guard Reggie Bullock, who battled injuries most of last year, will be a threat off the bench and freshman wing P.J. Hairston brings a smooth long-range stroke, but Leslie McDonald, arguably the Tar Heels’ best shooter, is likely out for year after tearing his ACL this summer.

After spurning the chance to be first-round picks in the 2011 NBA Draft, UNC’s frontcourt will be the best in college basketball. Do-it-all small forward Harrison Barnes will be the go-to guy offensively. After struggling the first half of last season, Barnes finished his freshman year strong. The Iowa native is the preseason favorite to win national player of the year and has a shot to be the top pick in the 2012 NBA Draft.

Alongside Barnes, with a freakish 7-foot-5 wingspan, junior power forward John Henson, led the conference in blocked shots last season with 3.2 per game, is arguably the best defensive player in the country. He adds excellent rebounding ability—he averaged a double-double last season—and a developing offensive arsenal. And Tyler Zeller will be one of the best centers in the country. Thriving in the Tar Heels’ up-tempo system, the mobile Zeller averaged 15.7 points and 7.2 rebounds a game last year. Highly-touted freshman James McAdoo, a 6-foot-9 combo-forward who is also a projected lottery pick in the 2012 NBA Draft, will provide relief off the bench.

Under Roy Williams, the Tar Heels have handled high expectations exceptionally well. In both 2005 and 2009 the Tar Heels were the favorites to cut down the nets and did not disappoint. In 2012, Roy Williams hopes to continue that trend with perhaps his most talented team yet.

Share and discuss “UNC Season Preview: Loaded Tar Heels could add to trophy case” on social media.