Soundoff: a Blue Devil's Halloween

For Halloween, some flock to Franklin Street, others go to class dressed as critters, some knock on doors for candy and the really adventurous stay home. The Chronicle's Raisa Chowdhury spoke to students about their thoughts on the holiday this year.

“I dressed as a ladybug to class because Halloween is my favorite holiday of the year except my birthday—which, yes, I consider to be a holiday—so I want to celebrate it as much as possible.”

-Ayan Salah, junior

“We have beards. I was wearing a beard and people were staring at me. It was a good conversation starter. I recommend people experience this once in their life.

-Angel Thompson, freshman 

“YMCA all night.”

-Pete Chhoy, graduate resident 

“I’m going home to help my mom pass out candy for two hours, and then I might go to Shooters.”

-Zuri Milanzi, senior

“Halloween is a great time for people to get together and show off their creativity to varying degrees of sluttiness.”

-Stephen Howell, sophomore 

“I’m being Aladdin because it’s an easy costume and I don’t have to wear a shirt, only a vest. “

-Ishan Thakore, freshman 

“I was a character from the 'Dick in the Box' music video. I made the costume all on my own. I don’t know how to wrap gifts so my friends helped me make the box. They wrapped my package. I also put condoms and glows sticks in the box. I’ve been planning this costume since spring because I had talked about it at Blue Devil Days. I also grew out my beard all of October for the costume. I’m saving the box for another day. “

-Mansoor Safi, freshman

“It’s so hard to stay warm if you’re a girl but I figured out how. I wore like three layers of shorts and three layers of bra and wore three socks. My arms were freezing, my feet were freezing and my stomach was freezing, but it was ok.”

-Priya Achaibar, freshman

“As a guy, I enjoy the tendency of girl's costumes to be pretty revealing. I love candy. I love Halloween in general, as it’s just a blast. I wish I was able to trick-or-treat from door to door. I do have a pumpkin outside my door. Actually two.”

-Hamid Ali, senior

“Although Halloween in college is great, sometimes I miss the good old childhood days of trick treating with friends, going through our evening's harvest to trade the candies we didn't like with those of our friends  and finally ending the night with a good movie while eating our prized candy until we got stomachaches.”

-Nazanin Amini, junior 

“Well for me, Halloween means 31 percent discount on Duke apparel, but you know I outgrew Halloween 21 years ago. All of the naysayers about Christmas music are put to rest after this night. I start my Christmas music about Oct. 13, and Oct. 31 marks the decline of the anti-Christmas-music lobby on Duke campus. And that’s how Will sees it.”

-Will Beckman, senior 

“We should bake for Halloween. Make some Halal-oween.”

-Ruba Ahmad, senior

“My Halloween was awesome. Had good times with my tissue box and drowsy cold medicine.”

-Noreen Khan, sophomore

“We’re not doing anything. We were going to go to Franklin Street. We hear that you have to get there before 7:00 p.m. and stay pretty much all night and it’s really hard to get back after you go there so we’re not going.”

-Aruni Gunaratne, freshman

“First of all, if you had to dress up on Monday, you’d be dressing up during the daytime which is not part of the Halloween tradition, and if you dress up at night you’re too old to trick-or-treat and where would you trick-or-treat? I’ve never been allowed to dress up, so I really did want to dress up. But the problem is it would be socially unacceptable.”

-Esiyena Abebe, freshman

“Out of all the smart people at Duke, who decided to put Parent’s Weekend on Halloween weekend? I had a good Halloween costume idea, but now I cant use it because I had to be with my parents, but I did make an awesome pumpkin. It was not a triangle face one. It was awesome.”

-Catrina Mancini, freshman

“I didn’t go out. Way too much work. Plus my parents were here. And it was raining.”

-Biqi Zhang, sophomore

“I felt my time was better spent focusing on my work.”

-Maha Mourad, junior

“I’m not going out. I’m doing my homework. I’m serious. I can’t go out at all. Really.”

-Sandra Schiller, graduate student

Share and discuss “Soundoff: a Blue Devil's Halloween” on social media.