Izzo poses challenge in Krzyzewski's march to 903

The top story at Madison Square Garden Tuesday night may be Mike Krzyzewski's quest for his record-setting 903rd career win. But despite all the attention being showered on Duke's head coach, there will be another coach prowling the sidelines who many consider his peer.

Indeed, Michigan State head coach Tom Izzo's is one of only a few coaches who can challenge Krzyzewski for the title of best current college basketball coach. Izzo is one of only three coaches—including Krzyzewski—to lead his team to three straight final four appearances. Izzo's Spartans have made the NCAA Tournament every year since 1998,the third-longest active streak, and won the national championship in 2000. And during that period Michigan State has recorded 35 NCAA Tournament wins, just four less than Krzyzewski's top mark.

But for all the comparisons between the two, Krzyzewski has dominated Izzo in head-to-head matchups. Since Izzo's arrival in East Lansing, the Blue Devils have won five-of-six matchups with the Spartans, including an 84-79 victory in Cameron Indoor Stadium last season. Duke's one loss, though, came in the 2005 NCAA Tournament in which a 78-68 Michigan State victory ended the Blue Devils' season.

Tuesday's matchup will provide another chapter in the rivalry between arguably the two best coaches in college basketball today. And while the game will be remembered mainly for Krzyzewski's accomplishments, Izzo continues to craft a resume that could one day resemble that of college basketball's all-time wins leader.

Share and discuss “Izzo poses challenge in Krzyzewski's march to 903” on social media.