It's Movember at Duke

Generic Script

Around this time every year, Duke students spurn the razor in favor of facial hair—for better or worse.

What began in Australia as a novel method of raising money for charity has become a tradition for college students around the United States. For Freshman Matt Darlow Movember is a new and exciting experience.

"It's for a good cause, and it gives me an excuse to be lazy," he exclaimed.

But others have been more staid in their response to the tradition. Freshman Grant Petersen showed some uncertainty about the disconnect from the true tradition of no-shave November. Sophomore George Fan stated that even though it's for a good cause, he has never participated.

"Some people look good with facial hair. Some do not. If you do, go for it," Fan continued.

Graduate student Mike Lehman agreed with Fan, but added that the concept of No-Shave November is definitely a bigger thing at Duke than at other similar-tiered schools.

"It is entering a bit of a renaissance at Duke."

Senior John Mekjian acknowledges that it is for a great cause, but does not see it as big at Duke. "I see why people do it, and it is for a good cause. But it is definitely bigger on the West Coast than Duke."

The noble cause that it was created for has not been forgotten by Duke students. Sigma Chi has joined with the Movember Foundation to raise awareness for prostate cancer and other male-related diseases. Zac Silber and other brothers of Sigma Chi have devoted November to raising money for the Movember Foundation.

"Last year, Movember raised $150 million worldwide through its November fundraiser," Silber said.

He added that most of the brothers of Sigma Chi are also participating in the No-Shave November aspect of the fundraiser, and are happy to see others join especially if it raises awareness."

Share and discuss “It's Movember at Duke” on social media.