The Afghan Blue Devil

Generic Script

Ahmad Shoaib, a 2010-2011 Fulbright Scholar from Afghanistan, could not have his picture taken for this blog for his own safety.

He has had to withhold telling people he went to Duke so that he does not become a target for kidnappers, or worse—however unlikely—the Taliban.

The Fulbright Program—an international educational exchange organization—was closed in 1979 when the Soviets invaded Afghanistan and reinstated in 2003. Shoaib, who has recently obtained a Master’s Degree in Engineering Management, applied for the program after an encouraging comment from his friend.

In Shoaib’s year, about 800 people applied for 36 spots. He said he chose Duke for the flexibility of scheduling, in terms of being able to choose courses from within Fuqua, Sanford and Trinity. But more importantly, he chose Duke for its excellent academic reputation and to obtain the tools necessary to make a name for himself in aiding the rebuilding of his country.

“I like to think of myself as person who has very high hopes and dreams for myself, my family and my country," he said. "I have always these visions of doing great things with my life."

He also expressed how his expectations were drastically different from his ultimate experience being here.

“Coming to Duke, I thought, would bring me one step closer to these dreams," he said. "After finishing the program, I am actually two steps closer to these dreams."

Afghanistan is in the midst of rebuilding what was lost during the recent Middle-Eastern wars and is becoming increasingly progressive. Shoaib hopes to institute desperately needed reforms.

“My country of Afghanistan has been a victim of history in terms of not just all these wars coming and going but people have never had the chance to breathe," he noted. "What I hope to offer in my own little way is perhaps a glimmer of hope, telling people there is a better life waiting if you choose to live that way.”

He and a few of his relatives are developing social initiatives focusing on education, women’s rights and progressive ideas within his community. He currently holds a position as project manager at an engineering company in Kabul. He avoids politics, however, as a means of change because of the nature of the Afghan government.

“Unfortunately, the [political scene] in my country is extremely damaged, so entering it would inhibit my ability to serve my people," he explained. "I am trying to stay away from politics for as long as I can or until change can be brought through politics. I think I can bring more change to empowering people financially, through education, through letting them know of their rights, and defending their rights.”

As for the students currently at Duke, Shoaib had advice to offer.

“Go to 2-3 less parties a week and a few more productive things that might last a few years," he said. "Although I am all for having fun, but Duke has so much more to offer, it will be a shame if people don’t use it.”

Shoaib’s bravery in studying at an American university reveals what many students may take for granted. At our very fingertips, we have a world-class university where we have all the resources necessary to achieve success. Also, Duke offers a superbly strong and friendly alumni base, so if you’re ever in a mix-up in Kabul, just know that we have a fellow Dukie there.

“I’m going to be a bit selfish here and claim that I’m the only Afghan Blue Devil in Kabul or maybe the only Afghan Blue Devil on this planet perhaps,” Shoaib said.

Share and discuss “The Afghan Blue Devil” on social media.