Wilson leads Hokie rushing attack into Wallace Wade

Virginia Tech may be best known for head coach Frank Beamer's emphasis on special teams execution, but the Hokies' success this year has relied primarily on an explosive running game anchored by junior David Wilson.

The junior, who is quietly having a Heisman-worthy season, has already amassed 1,037 rushing yards, a mark that leads the nation, and seven touchdowns in just eight games for Virginia Tech. Harris has rushed for more than 100 yards in all but one of the Hokies' contests this year and accumulated more than 123 yards on the ground in each of his ACC contests.

If he continues on his current pace, Wilson could break Ryan Williams' school record for rushing yards in a season of 1,655 set in 2009.

Wilson isn't the only weapon in the Hokie backfield, though. Logan Thomas and Josh Oglesby have accounted for a combined 11 touchdowns and 467 yards  behind Williams, although their combined 3.5 yard per carry average pales in comparison to Williams' stellar 6.3 yard average.

One area in which Wilson has seeming regressed, though, is in catching the ball out of the backfield—while his 15 receptions this season match his total from a year ago, he has accumulated 138 less receiving yards and only scored one touchdown through the air compared to four last season.

Share and discuss “Wilson leads Hokie rushing attack into Wallace Wade” on social media.