New York Jets sign former Duke WR Eron Riley to 53-Man roster

In case you missed it, I caught up with Eron Riley last month to discuss his journey through the NFL and the challenges that he faced in breaking through and getting a chance. Now, it seems like his opportunity has finally arrived. The New York Jets signed Riley from the Denver Broncos' practice squad this morning.

Riley was signed as an undrafted free agent by the Baltimore Ravens in 2009 before catching on with the Broncos in Oct. 2010. The Jets will be Riley's third NFL franchise, but he is yet to play an NFL snap.

When one team signs a player from another team's practice squad, they must place that player on the active roster. Although there is no guarantee he will be active on this Sunday, the Jets do need depth at the wide receiver position. After dealing veteran wideout Derrick Mason last week, they are left with just three wide receivers who have made a catch this season. With their offense struggling, the Jets have given rookie fifth round selection Jeremy Kerley a chance to contribute. It is possible that they will give another young receiver a chance to stretch the field once Riley gets acclimated and learns the playbook.

Share and discuss “New York Jets sign former Duke WR Eron Riley to 53-Man roster” on social media.