Making the Grade: Duke vs. Florida International

Duke Offense: A-

On the Ground: Through three quarters, the Blue Devils’ lead tailback Juwan Thompson had gained just nine yards on eight carries. After the inefficient start, Duke’s ground attack came alive at three pivotal points in the fourth quarter, when Thompson found the endzone twice and freshman Jamison Crowder gained 16 yards facing third-and-7, allowing Renfree to take a knee and seal the victory.

Through the air: Quarterback Sean Renfree had his best game of the year, throwing for 335 yards and two touchdowns without turning the ball over. Renfree distributed the ball to nine different targets, with receivers Conner Vernon and Donovan Varner combining for 15 receptions and 228 yards.

X’s & O’s: For the first time all season, Renfree was the only Duke quarterback on the stat sheet. The redshirt junior responded by getting into a rhythm early and maintaining it all night. The success in the passing game early opened up holes for Juwan Thompson to find paydirt in crucial moments in the fourth quarter.

Duke Defense: B-

Against the run: The Blue Devils were gashed for 207 yards on 41 rushing attempts by Florida International. Duke had allowed just 109 yards per game on the ground in 2011 heading into Saturday’s contest, a marked improvement from last season, but the defensive front will have to rebound with conference play lurking after the bye week.

Against the pass: Quarterback Wes Carroll threw for 348 yards and three touchdowns. The blame cannot fall on one defensive back, since six Golden Panthers gained over 25 yards apiece through the air, though normally-reliable Matt Daniels was burned for an early touchdown by playmaker T.Y. Hilton.

Duke Special Teams: B

Saturday’s contest was arguably this unit’s best showing of the season. Punter Alex King recorded his highest punting average of the season, and Will Snyderwine made his only field goal attempt. Return man Jamison Crowder continues to give the offense solid field position, and the kickoff coverage team corralled the Golden Panthers effectively.

Highest Marks: Conner Vernon

After Cutcliffe cited a lack of explosive plays earlier in the season, Vernon tallied three catches of 20 yards or more, including a 30-yard touchdown, en route to his eight-catch, 117-yard performance. An honorable mention goes to quarterback Sean Renfree, who was on point all day.

Hit the Books: The Pass Rush

Although Kenny Anunike’s replacement Jordan DeWalt-Ondijo recorded the defense’s lone sack and forced fumble at a critical point in the game, Duke’s pass rush was a non-factor for most of the game, allowing Florida International to gain 392 yards and three scores through the air.

Share and discuss “Making the Grade: Duke vs. Florida International” on social media.