Former Sugarhill Gang musician produces Duke football anthem

The bassist for Sugarhill Gang's rap anthem "Rapper's Delight" just completed his newest project—a song for Duke football.

Chip Shearin, a Duke graduate and current owner of KEO Record Producing, an independent label distributed by Warner Bros., put together "We Are Duke!" to help rally support behind his beloved Blue Devils.

The anthem will debut Saturday, Oct. 15, when Duke hosts Florida State at 3 p.m.

“Every city has its own sound if you think about it,” Shearin said in a press release.  “We had to come up with a sound that we thought represented Durham on a whole – the sophistication, the toughness, the environment of Duke University and most importantly, Duke football.  It resonated really well with the players when we played it for them. And Coach Cutcliffe loved it.  Excitement is the key. You get people excited, things happen. That’s what we wanted to do—make sure that it was reflective of the community and excited people."

In addition to running his record company, Shearin has worked with Justin Timberlake, Janet Jackson and Michael Bolton, among others. Originally from North Carolina, he now resides in Los Angeles, Calif.

Click the link for full audio of the new Wallace Wade Stadium anthem: We Are Duke!

Share and discuss “Former Sugarhill Gang musician produces Duke football anthem” on social media.