Tough ACC slate ahead

Jeme Obeime leads the Blue Devils with 102 kills this season.

Still struggling to reach a high level of consistency on the court, the Blue Devils have a tough weekend ahead of them as they take on two conference rivals—Georgia Tech and Clemson—in their upcoming home stand.

Duke (6-4, 0-1 in the ACC) will face Georgia Tech (7-4, 0-1) Friday at 7 p.m. and Clemson (9-3, 1-0) Saturday at 8 p.m. at Cameron Indoor Stadium.

“I feel like we have been a little inconsistent in some of our performances,” head coach Jolene Nagel said. “We are just developing still. But if we can gain some consistency in our positions out there, I think it will help us a lot. As long as we keep getting better, that is what I am looking for as a coach.”

Jeme Obeime, a freshman outside hitter, has shone despite her team’s sporadic play, leading the team in kills with 102. Sophomore libero and 2010 All-ACC first-teamer Ali McCurdy has stood out on defense, and has earned all-tournament honors in two early-season tournaments.

After being upset by ACC rival Wake Forest on the road last Friday in its conference opener, Duke is hoping to take advantage of playing at home this weekend. At Cameron Indoor Stadium, the Blue Devils have a habit of winning, with a 134-23 record at home since 2000.

“The Wake Forest match was an emotional loss for us because we played so hard and competed in four very close games,” Nagel said. “I was worried that the loss would take its toll on the girls, but they came back Saturday [against Charlotte], played well and we won pretty easily.”

With big wins over Kansas State and Louisville earlier this season, Georgia Tech will provide a dangerous matchup. A large part of the Yellow Jackets’ success can be attributed to the play of junior Monique Mead, a right-side hitter. A dominant left-handed player, the 5-foot-10 Mead has 223 kills in the Yellow Jackets’ 11 games, leading the nation in kills per set.

“It is important for us as a team to familiarize ourselves with [Mead],” Nagel said. “She is a good athlete and a real offensive threat. We need to know where she is on the court at all times.”

Regardless of what happens Friday night, the Blue Devils will have to turn around the next day to take on a highly-successful Clemson team. The Tigers, who beat Georgia Tech last week, have won their last five matches behind efficient attacks and big blocks.

The Tigers have played well at the net, amassing a total of 102.5 blocks this season. Duke and Georgia Tech have only recorded 78 and 82, respectively.

“They are really good,” Nagel said. “Clemson always has a couple of good middles, some of whom get more attempts than the outside players. The team has a good mix of athletic players and players with high volleyball IQs. It will be a lot for us to contend with.”

Share and discuss “Tough ACC slate ahead” on social media.