Making the Grade: Duke vs. Tulane

Offense: A-

Pass: Sean Renfree followed up his career-best 41 completion performance last week with 278 yards on 21-of-30 passing, with one touchdown. His only blip came on the game’s second drive, when his pass was intercepted by Ryan Travis and returned for a score.

Rush: Juwan Thompson continued to carry the load in the absence of Josh Snead and Desmond Scott, rushing for 69 yards on an average of 4.9 per carry. Thompson and Renfree also rushed for two touchdowns each.

X’s and O’s: The Blue Devils sported their most aggressive aerial attack of the season Saturday, completing nine passes of 15 or more yards, highlighted by Renfree’s 44-yard hookup with Conner Vernon on the opening drive.

Defense: B+

Rush: The Blue Devils held five Tulane running backs to just 55 yards. Brandon LeBeau’s 26-yard run excluded, the Green Wave mustered a scant 1.6 yards per carry.

Pass: The loss of Kenny Anunike will be an enormous blow for Duke moving forward—the redshirt junior had four sacks in the first three games—but the Blue Devils were able to effectively harry Ryan Griffin without him for three quarters, holding him to 14-for-29 passing and 188 yards.

X’s and O’s: Duke had gone five quarters without giving up a defensive touchdown until garbage time Saturday, showing the unit’s increased comfort in the new 4-2-5 scheme.

Special teams: B+

Will Snyderwine and Jeffrey Ijjas made the Blue Devils’ first two field goals of the season from 40 and 26 yards, respectively. Alex King only had to punt once, kicking a 42-yarder inside the 20. Jamison Crowder returned a punt for a touchdown, though it was negated after one of his teammates was flagged for a block in the back.

Share and discuss “Making the Grade: Duke vs. Tulane” on social media.