Durham SAT scores dip 12 points

Although the college admissions process becomes more competitive each year, students may not be getting smarter.

The mean SAT score dropped four points this year nationally, three points in North Carolina and 12 points in the Durham Public School district, according to a press release.

DPS' mean combined math and reading scores is 951 this year, down from 963 in 2010. This is the sixth straight year that the DPS has posted a decline in students’ SAT score.

Jeff Nash, interim chief communications officer of the DPS, believes there is no easy explanation for this decrease, but noted that one possible explanation may be because of an increase in participation.

“When students who are only on the fringe of wanting to attend college, or perhaps carry a GPA that is borderline acceptable for college entry, are added to the list of test-takers, the scores will naturally be lower than the [college-bound students] subset,” Nash said.

The percentage of DPS students taking the exam rose from 71.6 to 73.1 in the past year, according to the press release. Additionally, 64 percent of North Carolinian seniors took the SAT, compared to only 50 percent nationally.

This lowered average SAT score will not prevent DPS from encouraging its students to participate in the test, he added.

“We believe it is helpful for the kids to take it because they may change their mind and decide to go to college, or they may realize that they can indeed be successful in college,” Nash added.

Although SAT scores dropped overall, African American and Hispanic students' mean SAT scores increased by eight and 61 points, respectively.

Nash said that he believes SAT scores do not fully reflect how well the students have prepared for college.

“There has been no recognizable drop in student aptitude or preparation—as evidenced by the ACT results (both scores and participation have gone up),” he said.

The DPS has made plans to help its students improve their SAT scores. Some of the measures include developing an SAT/ACT Advisory Board, increasing partnership with the DPS Office of Public Affairs to advertise current SAT Prep opportunities and increasing enrollment in advanced courses for high school students.

“While the increased participation is a very good indicator, I still have higher expectations for our scores,” said Superintendent Eric Becoats in the press release. “Moving forward, I fully intend to see our scores rise, our participation rates continue to increase and, most importantly, I expect our students to be prepared for success in college and in all future endeavors.”

Share and discuss “Durham SAT scores dip 12 points” on social media.