Duke starts 2011 campaign against Richmond

Junior Connor Vernon led the Blue Devils with 973 receiving yards on 73 receptions last fall.

Two years ago Richmond came into Durham for the season opener and surprised the Blue Devils with a 24-16 victory through strong special teams play and a stiff rush defense. The Spiders are aiming for a repeat performance come Saturday.

This time, though, the faces on the sidelines will look a little different with interim Richmond head coach Wayne Lineburg replacing the recently resigned Latrell Scott. Scott’s departure comes after his second arrest for a DWI.

Scott’s resignation caps a disappointing calendar year for the No. 19—in Div. I-AA—Spiders after a rash off injuries led to a 6-5 campaign last season. The Spiders’ injury bug was no more evident than at the quarterback position, where four different players started under center.

Richmond’s offense returns eight starters and is led by senior quarterback Aaron Corp—a former USC transfer— who suffered a season-ending knee injury during only the fifth game last year. Corp, named one of The Sporting News’ six NFL draft “sleepers”, posses a strong, accurate arm that should pose an early challenge for Duke’s secondary.

Rounding out the backfield is Garrett Turner—who recorded 181 yards on 40 rushes with one touchdown last year—and preseason All-CAA junior fullback Kendall Gaskins. There are questions of whether Lineburg will continue the transition to a more run-oriented offensive philosophy, as was the case last year under Scott, or if the change in approach was simply a reaction to the multitude of quarterback injuries.

The wide receivers are led by senior Tre Gray and sophomore Ben Edwards. Gray, first team All-CAA last season and a preseason All-CAA selection this year, had only 38 catches for 478 yards and two touchdowns in 2010, but suffered with the rest of the receiving corps from the lack of a consistent passer. He needs 51 grabs and 756 yards to set the Richmond career records in both categories.

Defensively, the Spiders were inconsistent last season, allowing 364 yards a game and 30 total touchdowns. Losing CAA Defensive Player of the Year Eric McBride and cornerback Justin Rogers—taken by the Bills in the seventh round of the 2011 NFL Draft—won’t help.

Richmond will also need to be prepared for the possibility of the most prolific Duke offense in years. With Sean Renfree—who threw for 3131 passing yards and sported a 61.4 completion percentage last season—under center, and with depth at other skill positions led by Desmond Scott and Conner Vernon, the Richmond defense will be tested.

While the Spiders have some experience in the second level after the transfer of former Georgia Tech safety Cooper Taylor, the front seven will deal with inexperience and could struggle against the Blue Devil rushing attack.

But if their last meeting was any indication, special teams play could be an important factor. Johnathan Mayfield recorded the game’s first score on a blocked punt and kicker Andrew Howard made a 45-yard field goal with just over four minutes left to essentially clinch the game. Kicker Wil Kamin leads the Richmond unit and along with Gray and Gaskins was named preseason All-CAA.

The Spiders come into the game looking for their third straight win over the Blue Devils, having won the 2006 opener in addition to their 2009 victory. But with two high-octane offensives and two inexperienced defenses, it might take quite a few points to get that done. Expect a shoot-out in Durham.

Share and discuss “Duke starts 2011 campaign against Richmond” on social media.