Carrawell leaves Duke for NBA D-League

Chris Carrawell will leave the Duke women's basketball program to become an assistant coach for the Springfield Armor, the New Jersey Nets' Developmental League team.

Carrawell, who was preparing to enter his first season with the women's basketball program, served in a variety of positions on men's basketball head coach Mike Krzyzewski's staff for the previous four seasons.

“We are so happy for Chris. He’s the consummate team player who became ACC Player of the Year. He has a great understanding of the game and loves to teach it,” Krzyzewski said in a press release. “This position is absolutely perfect for him.”

Carrawell was selected by the San Antonio Spurs with the 41st-overall pick in the 2000 NBA draft. He played in the first-ever NBA Developmental League season with the Asheville Altitude in the 2001-02 before spending five of the next six seasons abroad.

“Chris is an excellent addition to [head coach Bob MacKinnon’s] staff,” Nets General Manager of Minor League Operations Milton Lee said in a press release. “He is a young, aggressive coach who comes to the Armor from a storied college basketball environment, and his passion and energy will be an invaluable asset to our players.”

Share and discuss “Carrawell leaves Duke for NBA D-League” on social media.