Night at the Nasher Soundoff

Since lugging their belongings into East Campus residence halls Tuesday, students of the Class of 2015 have enjoyed numerous orientation events, one of which was the annual Night at the Nasher. The well-attended event provided students with an opportunity to converse and experience the University’s only art museum in a formal setting Saturday evening. The Chronicle’s Virginia Dillon spoke with eager new students, upperclassmen and administrators to hear their thoughts on their night at the Nasher Museum of Art.

“I think it’ll be fun because this is the first chance the Class of 2015 has had to get together in a more classy setting, and I have a vague interest in art, so I’m interested to see what kind of art other Duke students are in to,” —freshman Jack Parker on anticipating his Night at the Nasher experience.

“I just really like formal occasions, so I figured I’d go and see everyone dress their best, I guess,” —freshman Russell Hollis.

“I’m excited about the event because the Nasher has such a great opportunity to encourage the students to get involved in the arts. We have different crafts and stuff, and we have the Eating Animals exhibit—we’re trying to get people to engage in the book that they’re reading and the art that we have here,”—sophomore Christina Canzoneri, Nasher Student Advisory Board member.

“It’s something that everyone can come to—freshmen and upperclassmen alike, and you know, everybody can come together and enjoy the night and dress up and have a very classy welcome to Duke,” —senior Monica Bhutiani, co-chair of First-Year Advisory Counselor program.

“We’re almost at the end of orientation week, and it’s a final get together of a lot of the freshman class, and everyone’s sort of at their best because they dressed up, and they’re ready to meet and mingle. It’ll be a nice way to end orientation week,”—freshman Jamie Kessler.

“It’s really fun, and there’s a lot of great food and prizes and stuff, and the collection of art is really spectacular,” —freshman Ishan Thakore.

“From upperclassmen, everyone said it’s something to go to and not to miss, and the Nasher’s a really nice museum, so I wanted to come and see the art. It’s been great,” —freshman Hannah Neville.

“It’s been positive. I’m taking a poll right now to see what their opinions are on the book and how many omnivores, vegetarians and vegans we have among the first-year class, and it’s really a mixed bag. It’s very exciting to have them here because they all read the book,” —Nasher Academic Program Assistant Molly Bodrati on first-year students’ reaction to the “Eating Animals” exhibit.

“I’m pretty impressed. There are those people dressed up, dressed down. Everyone’s out here, and it’s a nice time to socialize. I went through some of the exhibits, and it’s just nice to analyze art with more intellectual people rather than just your high school friends,” —freshman Peter Yom.

“We love welcoming the first-year students to this party, and we look forward to it every year, and we want students to feel like this is their museum, and that they can come back as often as possible.... They’re dancing, and they’re smiling, and they’re looking at the art. It’s basically all our dreams come true. We were worried about the hurricane putting a damper on it, but it was fine,” —Wendy Livingston, the Nasher’s manager of marketing and communications.

“This particular event epitomizes the entire week. A lot of engagement by the class, very spirited, clearly happy to be at Duke, wanting to get to know each other and really become part of the community, so I think this is a great, great event. I like that they’ve gone to the more robust music. I just like the spirit in the room,” —Dean of Students Sue Wasiolek.

Share and discuss “Night at the Nasher Soundoff” on social media.