ACC to be challenged in pre-season tournaments

Duke won't be the only team facing a daunting non-conference schedule this season.

Eight other ACC teams will participate in pre-season tournaments this upcoming season, although expected pre-season No. 1 North Carolina is not one of them.

Virginia Tech, perhaps in an attempt to boost their historically weak non-conference schedule, will participate in arguably the highest profile tournament—the NIT Season Tip-Off. Assuming the Hokies can get past George Mason—a traditional Cinderella—in their regional bracket, they'll face off against Big East heavyweight Syracuse in New York City. Virginia Tech will also likely face off against either Stanford or Oklahoma State.

In the 76 Classic, Boston College faces a likely matchup with another traditional Big East power, Villanova, and could also face off against power-conference teams Oklahoma and Washington State or mid-major challenger New Mexico. Wake Forest, meanwhile, has to face a tough Atlantic-10 opponent in Dayton in the first round of the Old Spice Classic and, if victorious, would be rewarded with a likely matchup with the Pacific-12's Arizona State.

Georgia Tech, North Carolina State, Virginia, Florida State and Clemson will all participate in lower profile tournaments.

Share and discuss “ACC to be challenged in pre-season tournaments” on social media.