Q&A with the Class of 2015: Who are they?

Meet the Class of 2015—they will be flooding campus in less than two months. The Chronicle's Melissa Dalis asked 16 incoming freshmen about the kind of people they were in high school, what no one knows about themselves and where they see themselves in 10 years. In Part 2, Q&A with the Class of 2015: becoming Dukies, 15 different freshmen will discuss their plans for their time at Duke.

Ibe Alozie (Houstin, TX) is a prospective economics major who describes himself as affable, spontaneous and diligent.

Generic Script

The Chronicle: What kind of person were you in high school?

Ibe Alozie: I was everybody's friend—the guy [who] was active in so many clubs [that] he had no real clique.

TC: Tell me something that no one knows about you.

IA: According to Netflix, my favorite movies are "sentimental war dramas."

TC: Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

IA: I see myself as a lawyer for the National Labor Relations Board or the Securities and Exchange Commission.

Aly Breuer (Santa Barbara, CA) is a prospective political science major who describes herself as passionate, crazy and fun-loving.

Generic Script

Aly Breuer: I was a very involved, well-known and loud person that wasn't afraid to make myself heard or to try new things. I wanted to do it all and I think I pretty much did!

AB: Sometimes I can act like I know it all, but I secretly love it when someone can prove me wrong.

AB: On track toward success with the beginning of a happy family.

Katie Brock (Philadelphia, PA) is a prospective civil engineering major who describes herself as dedicated, organized and excited.

Generic Script

Katie Brock: I tried to do a little bit of everything—I played softball, was the editor of the yearbook and participated in band, chorus and an acappella group. I was very hardworking, and sometimes I wish I had spent a little more time relaxing!

KB: I've never gotten a cavity—knock on wood!

KB: Hopefully I will have settled down after some traveling, and I will be an engineer [who] has my own family...I [also] can't imagine living somewhere where I'm not surrounded by Phillies fans!

Marcus Cain (Winston Salem, NC) is a prospective electrical and a computer engineering and computer science double major who describes himself as conservative, athletic and energetic.

Generic Script

Marcus Cain: I am an outspoken conservative in an extremely liberal prep school.

MC: I am related to Herman Cain, the Republican candidate [running] for President.

MC: Either training for the Olympics (I'm a Varsity Wrestling recruit) or in an engineering firm.

Tony Cao (Nanjing, China) is a prospective biomedical engineering and mathematics double major who describes himself as happy, outgoing and smart.

Generic Script

Tony Cao: In the nerd community, I was considered relatively "popular."

TC: I won first place at the 2006 New Mexico Piano Teacher's Association piano competition.

TC: Second year of residency, and relying on coffee everyday.

Renita Daniels (Tuscaloosa, AL) is a prospective biology major who describes herself as driven, enthusiastic and inquisitive.

Generic Script

Renita Daniels: I was basically the "uber teen." I loved Disney Channel, pop music and Seventeen Magazine, and the walls of my room were plastered in posters of teen icons like Zac Efron, Shia LaBeouf and Taylor Lautner. I am a huge Justin Bieber fan—Belieber, if you will.

RD: My singing in the shower is worthy of American Idol.

RD: Finishing up medical school and one step closer to becoming a pediatric surgeon!

Sophie Durand (Paris, France) is a prospective history and political science double major who describes herself as ambitious, laid back and helpful.

Generic Script

Sophia Durand: I went to an international school, so I hung out with people from everywhere.

TC: Tell me something no one knows about you.

SD: I love rugby...Be prepared for Rugby 101—World Cup's coming up!

SD: I would love to be doign field work for the UN in South America, either for UNESC [U.N. Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization], or UNICEF [U.N. Children's Fund].

Zac Elder (Lexington, KY) is an undecided major who describes himself as friendly, motivated and sociable.

Generic Script

Zac Elder: I was very outgoing and interested in trying everything my school had to offer, and I felt very connected with different groups of people on campus....I just did what I thought sounded like fun, tried to make friends while I was doing it and enjoyed my four years.

ZE: I like to wear dress socks inside-out.

ZE: Either teaching history or working on Wall Street.

Brett Fox (Clearwater, FL) is a prospective biomedical engineering major who describes himself as easygoing, athletic and studious.

Generic Script

Brett Fox: The quiet kid that played soccer and football after school with a group of friends.

BF: I'm a Tampa sports fan (Rays, Lightning [and] Buccaneers). We do exist, and I will represent my Tampa pride from Durham.

BF: I'm going to see where Duke takes me over the next four years first.

Aisha Golaub (Wayne, NJ) is a prospective neuroscience major who describes herself as driven, passionate and caring.

Generic Script

Aisha Golaub: I was the girl everyone thought was smart and quiet until they have a conversation with me and realize I don't shut up and half the things I say don’t make any sense…I [also] lack any type of coordination whatsoever and I will most definitely walk into everything I try to avoid walking into.

AG: I'm extremely afraid of the dark. It’s a scary place and you can't see anything...no me gusta. I'd [also] love to be a Victoria's Secret model.

AG: In a residency program at some hospital learning to be a surgeon, which means I'll probably be super tired but loving my job. I'd probably like to be engaged too—I think 28's a good age for that

Jonathan Hill-Rorie (High Point, NC) is a prospective biology major who describes himself as nerdy, sarcastic and superexcitedtobegoingtoDukethisfall.

Generic Script

Jonathan Hill-Rorie: The coolest nerd in the halls.

JH: Everything about me is known by someone, whether I know it or not. Nothing comes to mind, so I will say: how many hairs are on my head.

JH: Unless the world ends, I will hopefully be about to start practicing medicine.

Mila Liakhovitser (Bronx, NY) is a prospective mathematics and economics double major who describes herself as loud, outgoing and stubborn.

Generic Script

Mila Liakhovitser: I was and still am a boisterous, crazy girl who loves nothing more than friends and a good time and refuses to shut up even when it is common sense to do so. I was trouble.

ML: I sing Taylor Swift—or shall I say T-Swizzle—in the shower loudly. Get ready Duke.

ML: Stopping for a cup of coffee right outside of the Wall Street subway station as I prepare myself for another day of high competition and tensions.

Michael Marion (Cary, NC) is a prospective computer science major who describes himself as enthusiastic, outgoing and a leader.

Generic Script

Michael Marion: I was really involved and was actually kind of crazily enthusiastic. I was student body president and...played lacrosse for four years. Being the youngest child in my family, I liked taking on leadership roles and being looked up to by the younger kids.

MM: I was a ball-boy for the Duke men’s basketball team in 2000-2001. I was crowd-surfed around by the Cameron Crazies after playing one-on-one with Chris Duhon before the game! From then on, it was either Duke or bust.

MM: I’d like to move out to California after college and maybe get a job working for a Hollywood production studio or a big web company.

Kevin Nikolaus (Colorado Springs, CO) is a prospective mechanical engineering major who describes himself as adventurous, cheerful and hardworking.

Generic Script

Kevin Nikolaus: I suppose I was a studious and athletic individual in high school.

KN: No one knows that I have a pair of obese thirteen-year-old tiger salamanders as pets.

KN: Working with research or living somewhere in the wilderness.

Mansoor Safi (Hanover Park, IL) is a prospective biology major who describes himself as ambitious, unique and open-minded.

Generic Script

Mansoor Safi: I was a hardworking person who was also involved in many clubs and teams....My friends would always count and rely on me to help out, whether it was tutoring or helping with a prom date. Many people knew me as the tennis guy, and they would also mess with me when I did well on tests or messed up a curve.

MS: I want to learn how to hip hop Dance. I love dancing and expressing myself, but I'm a bit embarrassed to do it in public because I'm not very good.

MS: In residency for whatever type of medicine I choose to go into. I doubt I will be married, but I plan to have a relationship at the time.

Tre’Ellis Scott (Jacksonville, FL) is a prospective economics and international comparative studies double major who describes himself as funny, wild and polyphloisboian.

Generic Script

Tre'Ellis Scott: I was both the class clown and class president—the best of both worlds. I always kept my grades and classes in mind, but that didn't mean I couldn't have fun on the way. I attended a performing arts high school [and] major[ed] in theatre, so acting and directing were a part of my everyday life.

TS: Due to being a major military brat, I've been flying on airplanes alone since I was three years old. I've [also] gone into the swamps of Louisiana to find wild alligators, and refuse to leave until I pet a wild one—yet I am deathly afraid of frogs.

TS: Beginning my career as an economic analyst for the Central Intelligence Agency, fresh out of grad school, happy and the proudest Duke alumni.

Share and discuss “Q&A with the Class of 2015: Who are they?” on social media.