John Chambers: Commencement Speaker

S189
S189

Enduring a national financial crisis throughout its college years, the Class of 2011 will depart Duke having heard the words of John Chambers, one of America’s most successful and prominent CEOs.

Chambers, who will deliver the graduation speech during the commencement ceremony Sunday, is the chairman and CEO of Cisco Systems, a multinational communications and information technology corporation based in the Silicon Valley. Since his appointment as CEO of Cisco in 1995, the company’s annual revenue has increased from $1.2 billion to $40 billion.

“John Chambers really built one of the most successful technology companies in the world,” said Michael Schoenfeld, vice president for public affairs and government relations. “He is a leader in innovation and solving problems.”

Chambers has also worked extensively as a philanthropist and with social responsibility efforts. He worked for former presidents George W. Bush and Bill Clinton, most recently serving as vice chairman of President Bush’s National Infrastructure Advisory Council. The council advised the president on the security of the critical infrastructure sectors and their information systems.

“John Chambers has been the leader in a major new industry that touches all of our lives and has also been a social leader using business success to address major social problems,” Duke University President Richard Brodhead said.

Chambers’ work addressing social responsibility has focused on many education initiatives, both domestic and abroad, from the Gulf Coast region post-Hurricane Katrina to China, Jordan and Lebanon.

Duke has also felt the far-reaching effect of Chambers and his work. Chambers began his college education at the Pratt School of Engineering in 1967, though transferred after his first year to West Virginia University, where he pursued a business degree and later earned a jurisdoctorate degree in 1974. A year later, he earned a master’s in business administration from Indiana University. Chambers returned to Duke in 2004 when he served as a panelist at the opening of the Center for Interdisciplinary Engineering, Medicine and Applied Sciences.

His connection to Duke does not stop there, however, as his work at Cisco has sparked a partnership between the corporation and the University. For example, Chambers has worked with Duke on a collaboration with software programs and video conferencing.

“His company has been working with Duke to advance the notion of the use of technology in education,” Schoenfeld said. “Duke has been a pilot site for Cisco to connect teachers and learners around the world.”

Chambers’ innovative spirit ties in well with the University’s academic programs and overall mission, Schoenfeld added.

“Duke itself as an institution has a strong commitment to innovation and entrepreneurship,” he noted. “Chambers really reflects the ambition and entrepreneurial value of the institution.”

Chambers’ philanthropic and professional leadership has not gone unnoticed. He has received the Clinton Global Citizen Award in 2007, in addition to the U.S. State Department’s top corporate social responsibility award under President Barack Obama’s administration. In 2009 Time Magazine recognized Chambers as one of the “100 Most Influential People” and Bloomberg Businessweek named him as one of the “Top 25 Executives Worldwide” in 1999.

Last year Brodhead, who ultimately decides on the commencement speakers, implemented a student advisory committee to aid him in the selection process. The committee generates an initial list of possible commencement speakers, after which Brodhead selects and invites the speaker. This year’s student advisory committee included 12 students and was led by Schoenfeld and Vice President and University Secretary Richard Riddell.

Senior Stephanie Chang, a member of the committee, said although Chambers was not the favorite of the students serving on the committee, she is happy with the final selection. She added that Chambers’ Duke connections and technological expertise are strong reasons for him to address the Class of 2011.

Chambers is also an experienced commencement speaker and is known for his untraditional speaking style. In past speeches, he has left the podium and walked through the audience of graduates, speaking without notes.

Although the student body will not know the contents of Chambers’ speech until Sunday, Chambers will be “a very compelling speaker,” Schoenfeld said.

Share and discuss “John Chambers: Commencement Speaker” on social media.