Recruits take court in Chicago

Duke’s basketball programs will welcome a combined seven new players next season, and five of them took the court yesterday at the McDonald’s All-American Games at the United Center in Chicago, Ill.

Elizabeth Williams was named the MVP of the women’s game after setting an All-American Game scoring record, while men’s recruits Austin Rivers and Quinn Cook each put up 14 points.

Shooting guard Rivers (No. 1 in the Class of 2011 according to ESPN) shot just 5-for-14 in his 25 minutes of play, but did add five rebounds and four assists. Cook (No. 39) had a better shooting performance (6-for-13) but tallied just one assist in 21 minutes, in spite of his rating as one of the nation’s top point guards.

Center Marshall Plumlee (No. 37) didn’t get as many opportunities to score in his 18 minutes of action, but did manage five points while pulling down eight rebounds and blocking a shot. The only recruit not to appear for the men’s team was small forward Michael Gbinije (No. 28), who was ineligible to play in the game due to his status as a fifth-year high school senior.

The women’s game was dominated by post player Williams (No. 2 in the Class of 2011 according to HoopGurlz), who scored 23 points and pulled down 11 rebounds to lead all players in the game in both categories. Forward Amber Henson (No. 20), whose brother John plays for North Carolina, also got in the game, tallying five points, two rebounds and five blocks in 17 minutes. Head coach Joanne P. McCallie’s final recruit is point guard Ka’lia Johnson (No. 82), who was not selected to the game.

Share and discuss “Recruits take court in Chicago” on social media.