Knoerr leaves valued Nicholas School legacy

Kenneth Knoerr, former director of graduate studies for Environmental Sciences and Policy in the Nicholas School of the Environment, passed away Monday.

The professor emeritus of hydrology and environmental meteorology served on Duke’s faculty for more than 50 years, joining the faculty in 1961 as an assistant professor of forest climatology and gaining emeritus status in 2002.

“Ken has been a long time and valued member of our faculty, and someone who had a huge impact on building our school both physically and intellectually,” said Nicholas School Dean Bill Chameides in a statement issued by the Nicholas School. “He will be missed.”

Knoerr was promoted in 1966 to associate professor of forest meteorology and was appointed associate professor of biometeorology two years later. He became professor of forest meteorology and hydrology in 1972.

In addition, Knoerr was a well-known researcher both at home and abroad. Authoring more than 50 peer-reviewed studies, Knoerr was considered an expert in microclimatology, mountain meteorology, forest fires and watershed hydrology. He was often cited for his research on managing forest lands and his studies helped to clarify how forests interact with the atmosphere. Knoerr was also one of the first to develop physical models which demonstrate how plants and the environment interact.

Most recently, Knoerr focused on investigating more than 100 forest fires that have occurred in the United States during the last hundred years. His goal was to use his findings to improve the safety of forest managers and firefighters. His research also identified common causes behind these unexpected changes—including wind behavior in mountainous terrain and the potential flammability of forest fuels.

Knoerr earned his bachelor’s degree in forest management in 1952 from the University of Idaho and received his PhD in forest meteorology in 1961 from Yale University. He also received a Master of Forestry degree in silviculture from Yale in 1955. Before joining the Duke faculty, he served as a research forester in the U.S. Forest Service from 1956 to 1961.

Knoerr was also a member of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, the American Geophysical Union, the American Meteorological Society and the Sigma Xi honor society.Knoerr leaves valued Nicholas School legacy

Share and discuss “Knoerr leaves valued Nicholas School legacy” on social media.