From Ivy League to ACC Rival?

Once a Blue Devil player and assistant coach, Tommy Amaker is flirting with a conference rival.

According to Andy Katz from ESPN, University of Miami officials flew up to Boston to convince Amaker---the current Harvard head coach who previously held the same job at Michigan and Seton Hall---to replace Frank Haith, who left to take the head coaching position at Missouri earlier this month.

Nothing is close to official at this point, and as Katz points out within his piece, Amaker has indicated that he would like to stay at Harvard, which he led to a share of the regular season Ivy League title this season, an honor shared with Princeton. The Crimson did not make the NCAA Tournament, however, after losing to the Tigers on a buzzer-beater in the playoff game.

This is not the first time a former Dukie has been tabbed to join an ACC foe this offseason. When Oklahoma fired Jeff Capel, who started at Duke from 1993-1997, there was speculation that there would be a match between him and Georgia Tech, which was looking to replace Paul Hewitt. They ultimately did not go that route, however, instead opting to hire former Dayton head coach Brian Gregory.

How would you feel seeing Amaker on the sidelines coaching against former mentor Mike Krzyzewski? Chime in within the comments section.

UPDATE: Fox Sports' Jeff Goodman reported today that Amaker spurned the Miami offer and will stay at Harvard.

Share and discuss “From Ivy League to ACC Rival?” on social media.