Former DUPD staffer charged in burglaries

A former security expert of the Duke University Police Department has been charged with breaking into a series of medical offices in the Triangle.

Shawn Michael Flaugher, 36, of Benson, was arrested Thursday by Cary Police on 29 counts of felonious breaking and entering, The (Raleigh) News and Observer reported. As of Saturday, he was being held at the Wake County jail under a $600,000 bond.

The string of burglaries in Cary occurred between July 2010 and February, Lt. Steve Fonke of the Cary Police Department told NBC17 news. The robber was able to disable some alarm systems and security cameras and pop off locks to exterior doors. The suspect primarily stole cash and medical drugs from the offices, Fonke said.

Flaugher also faces several charges in Durham and Clayton connected to medical facility break-ins.

DUPD also charged Flaugher Wednesday with three counts each of breaking and entering into Duke medical facilities, larceny after breaking and entering and safe-cracking, five counts of property damage, one count each of drug possession and possession of drug paraphernalia and 15 counts of third-degree sexual exploitation of a minor, according to WRAL.

The sexual exploitation charges were added after investigators discovered files on Flaugher’s computer depicting children engaged in sexual acts, investigators told ABC News.

Flaugher’s alleged crimes include stealing from the Duke Child and Family Study Center, cutting security alarm wires at the Duke Primary Care Clinic and cracking a safe at the Duke Pain Clinic, ABC News reported. Flaugher allegedly took about $13,000 worth of medicines and related supplies from these facilities alone.

Clayton police have charged Flaugher with four felony counts connected to burglaries in Clayton committed in August, according to the News and Observer.

Flaugher acted as a manager of security systems for Duke police. He began working as a civilian employee for DUPD in 2003 and left in March. It remains unclear if Flaugher voluntarily left or was fired, as the University does not comment on personnel matters.

Before coming to Duke, Flaugher operated security systems for the U.S. military and private corporations. He was previously a member of the 82nd Airborne Division at Fort Bragg and also worked at security companies including Pinkerton and Securitas.

Share and discuss “Former DUPD staffer charged in burglaries” on social media.