Driving Distance: Williamsburg

The drive to Williamsburg, Virginia is one that I have made countless times. Simply follow the road signs to I-85 North and prepare for 128 miles of easy driving. You will rarely encounter traffic, so you can rock out to your favorite music without fearing the scorn of passing drivers, making it ideal for a roadtrip with friends.

Most East Coasters take a field trip to Williamsburg at some time or another. Many fifth graders have walked down Williamsburg’s cobblestone streets and listened absent-mindedly as an interpreter droned on and on about colonial history in a second-rate British accent. However, as a native Williamsburgian, I can assure you that my town has much more to offer than reenactments and horse-drawn carriages.

1. Coffee and More

It is requisite that, when visiting Williamsburg, you start your day off at Aromas, an eclectic café located on Duke of Gloucester Street. Aromas is Williamsburg’s equivalent of Central Perk (pardon the Friends reference), a casual bistro perfect for leisurely meals and coffee dates with friends. Its walls exhibit the artwork of local artists and often jazz musicians stage impromptu concerts. Adding to the scene is the café’s signature caramel coffee drink topped with a dreamy dollop of whipped cream.

2. The Sunken Gardens

After you are fully caffeinated, stroll over to the Sunken Gardens, an expansive lawn at nearby William and Mary University designed in the style of an 18th century English landscape garden. Whether you are playing an energizing game of Frisbee or leisurely reading your favorite book, there is no better place to enjoy a temperate Williamsburg spring afternoon.

3. Busch Gardens

No trip to Williamsburg is complete without a visit to Busch Gardens. Although there will invariably be long lines, the amusement park’s four roller coasters make it well worth the wait. And who doesn’t enjoy a little people watching? Make sure to take on the Griffon, Busch Garden’s newest roller coaster. The floorless coaster suspends riders 205 feet into the air, and, after an unnerving pause, plunges them straight down at 90 degrees, making even the most ardent adrenaline junkie scream in fear. If you prefer to keep both feet on the floor, visit the Festhaus, a purportedly authentic German dining hall. Though the menu offers unexceptional American fare, the “This Is Oktoberfest” show is always entertaining.

Share and discuss “Driving Distance: Williamsburg” on social media.