ACC Coaching Carousel Finally Slows

For years now, coaching changes have provided the necessary drama for college basketball fans recovering from the letdown of the end of the NCAA Tournament.  This year has proven no different in the ACC.

There will be three new coaches joining the ranks of Mike Krzyzewski this fall—Brian Gregory at Georgia Tech, Jim Larranaga at Miami and Mark Gottfried at N.C. State.

Gregory replaces Paul Hewitt, a coach who was known for solid recruiting classes but disappointing results. Although he led the Yellow Jackets to the national championship game in 2004, he never again made it past the second round of the tournament. Hewitt was fired in early March.

Sidney Lowe faced a similar issue at N.C. State—he consistently yielded top recruiting classes, but his teams continued to underperform. After resigning, he was replaced by a man in Gottfried who once led Alabama to five-straight tournament appearances, including a visit to the Elite Eight in 2004.

Miami's position on the coaching carousel was not by choice—former coach Frank Haith left the school for the same position at Missouri. His replacement, though, led George Mason to a historic Final Four run  in 2006 and defeated Villanova in the first round of the tournament this season.

Share and discuss “ACC Coaching Carousel Finally Slows” on social media.