Rivers, Plumlee, Cook Play in McDonald's All-American Game

Three members of Duke Basketball's incoming freshman class competed in the McDonald's All-American Boys game on Wednesday night.

The East team, with future Blue Devils Marshall Plumlee and Quinn Cook, knocked off Austin Rivers and the West team, 111-96, at the United Center in Chicago. Cook was instrumental for his squad, dropping 14 points and effectively running the offense. Plumlee had a smaller role but still finished with five points and seven boards.

While Rivers never appeared to get into the rhythm of the game, he still scored 14 points, including a trio of three-pointers, grabbed five rebounds and dished four assists.

The game's Most Valuable Players were recruits from other college basketball blue blood programs. Kentucky signee Michael Gilchrist racked up 16 points—on 8-of-13 shooting—and 12 rebounds to go with four assists. Future Tar Heel James McAdoo added 17 points of his own, including several highlight-reel dunks and steals.

The game was played in front of the largest crowd, 20,019, in the 34-year history of the McDonald's All-American game.

Perhaps a more exciting event at the All-American game, though, came in the annual smack-talk challenge between Duke and North Carolina recruits. Last year, Tar Heel Reggie Bullock famously said head coach Mike Krzyzewski looked like "a rat." This year, it seems North Carolina's recruits were expressly warned by Roy Williams to not say anything else controversial "like Reggie did."

Also, it seems like Quinn Cook is the early contender for the Nolan Smith Funniest Member on the Team Award.

Share and discuss “Rivers, Plumlee, Cook Play in McDonald's All-American Game” on social media.