Irving hints at return

Kyrie Irving participated in warmups twice before ACC tournament games, exciting Duke fans in Greensboro.

Kyrie Irving warmed up on the Greensboro Coliseum court before the Maryland and North Carolina contests this weekend. But after each workout, he soon returned to wearing street clothes.

After Duke won its third straight ACC championship, though, the freshman suggested that he might just be seen with a Duke jersey on again this year.

First, Irving told several members of the media in the postgame celebration that there was “a good chance” he would return at some point during the NCAA Tournament. Then, in the locker room, he said he felt no lingering effects from the toe injury, suffered Dec. 4 against Butler.

“The medical staff just wants to take it slow right now,” the freshman said. “I started running in the water treadmill about a month ago so my conditioning isn’t where it should be, but it’s at a good point where I can get out there and play. I’m not saying I’m going to get out there and play—but I can.”

Irving went on to say that Nike had constructed a special shoe for him, designed to help prevent his toe from bending back again, as it did when he originally injured it. He also said that he is awaiting word on whether he can participate in full-speed scrimmages, but he said he has been approved for 5-on-0 drills.

When asked about the injury, head coach Mike Krzyzewski took a more cautious route than Irving, saying that while his recovery has gone well, no decision has been made.

“That’s the emotion of him missing out on being in this championship,” Krzyzewski said. “He’s progressing really well, but we’re far away from that decision.”

Share and discuss “Irving hints at return” on social media.