Duke graduate schools gain in rankings

The newest rankings are out, and many of Duke’s graduate schools are listed among the elite of the nation.

The School of Nursing received its highest ranking in history at seventh, and a number of the other graduate and professional programs were ranking in the top 15 of the list, which was compiled by the U.S. News and World Report. The 2012 lists were released Tuesday.

The School of Medicine tied for fifth in research and 41st in primary care, up one spot each from last year’s spots. The Fuqua School of Business climbed two places to 12th.

A number of Duke’s medical specialty programs were recognized by U.S. News. The physician assistant program was ranked first; geriatrics and internal medicine ranked fourth; and women’s health ranked fifth.

Some medical specialties dropped in rank, however. AIDS fell from fifth last year to eighth, and family medicine fell two spots to 10.

The Pratt School of Engineering gained two spots in the rankings—as it did last year—and is currently tied for 31st. Duke ranked fourth for biomedical and bioenginnering, receiving the same spot as last year.

Although Fuqua’s overall position on the list rose, its rankings for marketing and executive MBA program remained the same as last year—ranked third and fourth, respectively. The school’s international ranking rose from sixth to fourth, but its management ranking fell from eighth to ninth.

In an effort to provide more accurate data on hiring of law students, U.S. News polled 750 recruiters and hiring partners at the nation’s high-ranked law firms about the nation’s top law schools. Duke’s law program was ranked eighth on the list—which is new to the publication this year.

Share and discuss “Duke graduate schools gain in rankings” on social media.