Curry, Dawkins carry on Duke sharpshooting tradition

“Live by the three, die by the three,” the adage goes.

For Duke, a team which has largely epitomized that mantra for the past several years, no players embody the approach as much as sharpshooting sophomores Seth Curry and Andre Dawkins. Curry takes more than 60 percent of his shots from long-distance, while over 70 percent of Dawkins’s attempts come from behind the arc.

The players’ adherence to their strengths is evident in their outstanding offensive numbers. Among players who have taken more than 30 shots, Dawkins leads the team with 1.44 points per shot, followed closely by Curry’s 1.41 points per shot.

But in the Blue Devils’ losses, the team’s reliance on the 3-pointer has haunted it. While much has been made of senior Kyle Singler’s poor shooting performances, Curry and Dawkins have also had their share of struggles. And on the rare occasions that the team has lost, those struggles have been evident. Curry’s 20-point game in the regular season finale notwithstanding, neither player has scored in double figures in a losing effort.

In Duke’s loss to Florida State, more than half of the team’s shots were 3-pointers. Dawkins and Curry combined to shoot a dismal 2-for-14 from long range. Their shooting against St. John’s was similarly woeful, as the pair combined to go 2-for-11 on 3-point attempts. For the Blue Devils to advance in the tournament, that can’t happen.

“I learned from them [last year’s team] what it takes to prepare for a game in the NCAA Tournament,” Curry said. “You can’t skip a beat or... skip a team. Because if you play one bad game, then you’re out.”

Fortunately, Curry seems to be finding his stroke at just the right time. After being held scoreless against Virginia Tech, his father’s alma mater, Curry has scored double figures in five straight games while hitting over half of his shots from behind the arc.

Dawkins has not yet recovered his touch from the nonconference season—in early January, he had risen to second nationally in statistician Ken Pomeroy’s individual efficiency ratings—but his 3-for-4 shooting night against North Carolina in the ACC championship game is an encouraging sign. He also has tournament experience, notably knocking down a corner three against Baylor to stem the Bears’ 10-0 run going into halftime of the regional final.

While Curry—who as a result of NCAA rules did not receive a championship ring for his role on last year’s team—does not have that experience, he looks forward to creating his own tournament memories, this time from the court rather than the bench.

“It’s like a dream come true. I can’t wait to get out there in the tournament,” Curry said. “I’ve seen it from all angles. Now I’m ready to just get out there and be a part of it.”

Head coach Mike Krzyzewski’s announcement about Kyrie Irving’s possible return has dominated recent headlines, and it will no doubt be an important subplot in the Blue Devils’ opening games. But the performance of Dawkins and Curry—each of whom took a turn in the starting lineup after Irving went down—may be just as important for Duke’s championship aspirations.

Share and discuss “Curry, Dawkins carry on Duke sharpshooting tradition” on social media.