State dems face challenges in new legislature

With a Republican majority in the North Carolina General Assembly for the first time in more than a century, Democratic legislators of Durham County may have to consider altering their goals for influencing legislation.

Members of the General Assembly representing Durham—all Democrats—met with the Durham County Board of Commissioners and local officials Friday to discuss goals for the 2011-12 year. The state lawmakers at the meeting included state senators Bob Atwater and Floyd McKissick Jr. and house representatives Henry Michaux Jr., Larry Hall and W.A. Wilkins.

The meeting opened with comments from lawmakers about the current political climate of the N.C. General Assembly. In November, Republicans gained control of the State House of Representatives and the State Senate for the first time since 1870. The new makeup of the state legislature will lead to more conservative policies and practices in the organization, Hall said, including deep and potentially problematic cuts to the state budget.

“[Republicans] haven’t governed since the late 19th century, and sometimes I think they’re bringing back practices from the late 19th century,” Michaux said.

Lawmakers discussed the county’s legislative agenda, in particular the authority to develop a Local Preference Program—a measure McKissick believes is unlikely to pass. The Local Preference Program would give Durham County greater authority in awarding contracts to local businesses. Its supporters argue that it will encourage local economic development, but some state officials criticize the measure as expensive.

“[The Republicans] think Durham is too liberal,” McKissick explained. “They might consider other, smaller counties where they have more political support for a local preference program.”

Durham BOCC Vice Chair Ellen Reckhow suggested a $1 cigarette tax in addition to the current tax on the products, noting that it would deter individuals from smoking and generate an estimated $334.3 million annually. Michaux believes Republicans will not support the bill because they do not want to increase taxes in the near future.

Wilkins noted, however, that agenda items related to public safety and law enforcement will likely receive bipartisan support.

Steve Mihaich, deputy chief of the Durham Police Department, argued that audio recordings of 911 calls should be taken off the public record. Hall said that the measure would likely receive broad support as long as defense attorneys are still granted access to full, unaltered recordings. Mihaich acknowledged Hall’s point, noting that his complaints largely reside with media disclosure of full recordings.

“Television stations are putting the full recordings on their websites. Witnesses are saying they’ve been threatened and have refused to cooperate,” he said. “The caller’s voices should be disguised at the very least.”

County officials also recommended legislation that would make interfering with or intimidating a witness a felony offense. Atwater noted that a bill for this issue has been prepared and is likely to pass.

The meeting concluded with a discussion about budget cuts to N.C. public schools. The state’s budget deficit may motivate conservative lawmakers to significantly slash spending, Reckhow said.

Michaux, however, noted that Gov. Bev Perdue’s proposed budget, released Thursday, has protected most education funding. Michaux said he believes the legislature will not make major cuts to the education budget.

“If the state is talking about improving the economy and developing for the future, then it would make sense to invest in a quality public education for all children,” Reckhow said. “I’m worried about the changes that might come into effect in the name of saving money.”

The meeting was held at the Durham County Administrative Complex and was presided over by Michael Page, chairman of the Durham County Board of Commissioners.

Share and discuss “State dems face challenges in new legislature” on social media.