Lower property crime rates drive fall in overall crime

For the second consecutive year, overall crime levels fell in Durham.

Durham Police Chief Jose Lopez told the City Council Monday that crime rates decreased 1.7 percent last year, The Herald Sun reported. The change reflects a decrease in the number of burglaries, larcenies and vehicle thefts. Together, the number of violent and property crimes decreased from 13,316 in 2009 to 13,087 in 2010, The (Raleigh) News & Observer reported.

Counts of violent crimes last year did increase, however, including incidents of homicide and aggravated assault. The number of homicides totaled 25, an increase of four, while the number of aggravated assaults grew from 801 to 877, according to The N&O. Overall, however, crime rates are down 31 percent from nine years ago, Lopez said.

In the meeting, Lopez also reported progress reducing crime in a two-square-mile area known as the “Bull’s Eye.” Although the city of Durham covers 200 miles of the county, as of mid-2008, two square miles located in the northeast central part of Durham were the location of 20 percent of the total shots-fired calls, gang member residences and violent crimes committed with firearms, The Chronicle reported in July 2008.

Lopez said Monday that violent crimes involving guns fell 57 percent since 2007 and calls involving drug activity fell 38 percent, The N&O reported.

Share and discuss “Lower property crime rates drive fall in overall crime” on social media.