In the Heights descends on DPAC

In the Heights, which tells the story of a neighborhood around 181st St. in New York, is the latest Broadway musical to come to DPAC.

If you think going past 96th Street in Manhattan is foreign territory, you still haven’t gone north enough. Welcome to 181st Street, home of Washington Heights and the setting for Tony Award-winning musical In the Heights, currently running at the Durham Performing Arts Center.

The high-energy play is as dynamic as the many nationalities represented and as colorful as the characters’ wardrobes. The production effortlessly translates from the streets to the stage.

The musical follows the interwoven lives of several generations of immigrants living on a block in upper Manhattan. From the widowed grandma who served as everyone’s abuela to the local piraguero pushing his cart of shaved ice, the heavily Hispanic neighborhood never has a dull moment.

The main storyline revolves around the town darling Nina (Genny Lis Padilla) after she returns home from her first year at Stanford University. Rather than sharing about all her accomplishments, Nina must break the unfortunate news to family and friends that she lost her scholarship and consequently dropped out of school. A series of unexpected events—including a winning lottery ticket—force the neighborhood to reevaluate their values and consider what it means to call the Heights home.

The staging of the play, which features musical numbers flowing flawlessly from one to the next, perfectly reflects the spirit of New York. Constant movement keeps fast-paced rhythm alive. One highlight includes a 10-minute number that begins at a club, where multiple stories run simultaneously. Halfway through, a rolling blackout hits and the cast members pull out their cell phones for light (an amusing gesture), but the sequence continues as the actors sing and dance their way into the street without pause.

Drawing on the vibrant urban landscape and vernacular, the play succeeds in addressing social commentary without being overtly political. Rap forms the foundation for some of the most engaging songs of the play, while salsa and reggaeton are the crux for social interaction in the streets and clubs. Several older characters reminisce about their homeland, sharing their own stories of immigration. Several characters seek to leave the Heights in pursuit of a greater American dream, but even that desire is questioned as the play progresses. Spanish is not infrequent in the play, but even non-native speakers can appreciate the added flavor that lends a sense of authenticity to the scenes.

The actors deliver engaging performances, as each actor establishes distinct personalities for their characters. Joseph Morales gave an impressive portrayal of Usnavi, performing his raps in an articulate, spoken-word manner. Padilla and her love interest, Benny (Nicholas Christopher), have great on-stage chemistry, but other cast members overshadow Padilla vocally. Sonny (Chris Chatman), Usnavi’s cousin, is a surprising highlight who offers perfect amounts of comic relief.

In the Heights is a rich portrayal of a neighborhood that encapsulates many modern anxieties, asking questions about one’s identity and place in society. But don’t forget—home is always where the heart is.

In the Heights runs through Feb. 27 at the Durham Performing Arts Center. For tickets, showtimes and other information, visit dpacnc.com.

Share and discuss “In the Heights descends on DPAC” on social media.