Finally healthy, Duke preps for season

Head coach Kerstin Kimel said she had “high expectations for this season” due to players returning from injury.

It seemed like last season began with enormous potential—then the injury bug hit, and Duke was left with a young and inexperienced roster.

But right at the end of the season—which the Blue Devils finished 14-6—things started looking up. The team won its last match against Brown 23-9, despite missing head coach Kerstin Kimel, who was expecting a child that same day. Then, it defeated Vanderbilt in a competitive match 16-15, in which then-senior Lindsay Gillbride scored with 15 seconds left, to advance to the second round of the NCAA Tournament.

Even though the Blue Devils ended up falling short to No. 2 Northwestern 18-8 in the quarterfinals, they knew that better times were on the way.

“We have high expectations for this season, and we’re returning a couple of players who were missing last year,” Kimel said. “We lost two starters, who we now have back and who are capable of helping and making a big difference for us.”

Duke will face stiff competition in its conference as one of five ACC teams ranked in the nation’s top-20. Defending national champion Maryland will open in the top spot, followed by No. 3 North Carolina, No. 7 Virginia and No. 17 Boston College.

Senior Emma Hamm—a 2008 All-American who missed last season due to injury—will return to run the offense alongside classmates Christie Kaestner and Virginia Crotty. The midfield is anchored by fellow fourth-year Sarah Bullard, who led Duke with 48 goals last season. Bullard, an All-American and two-time Tewaaraton Trophy nominee, will be joined in the midfield by juniors Kim Wenger and Kat Thomas, an All-ACC selection a year ago.

After losing four starters to graduation, the Blue Devils will have to reload on the defensive end. Sophomores Lauren Martin and Monica DeMairo will pair up with freshmen Molly Quirke and Taylor Virden to protect the goal, while Mollie Mackler is expected to return to goalkeeping duties after missing the second half of last season with a knee injury.

While Kimel preached the importance of team cohesion throughout last season, she has worked to make it the cornerstone of this year’s roster. In fact, the Blue Devils, who hold the No. 4 preseason ranking, have taken their training to the next level, even enduring an exercise routine with Duke’s Army ROTC team.

“Since we graduated a group of kids who worked together, we’re now working with kids who hadn’t worked together yet,” she said. “It’s a constant work in progress like any team is.”

Duke’s gets the opportunity to showcase that new lineup tomorrow afternoon at 2 p.m. in Koskinen Stadium against Ohio State.

“Ohio State will be an interesting opponent for us because we haven’t played them in a long time,” Kimel said. “We’re not quite sure what to expect, but... this is a great chance for us and a great measuring stick.”

Share and discuss “Finally healthy, Duke preps for season” on social media.