Duke looks for first win in Carmichael since ‘07

Jasmine Thomas, who is averaging 14.5 points and 2.5 steals per game, will try for her first win in Carmichael.

Playing its third ranked opponent in just over a week, Duke opens up the Tobacco Road rivalry tonight with an away appearance at Carmichael Arena.

Taking on No. 15 North Carolina (20-3, 6-2 in the ACC), the Blue Devils look to continue their dominance in conference play, in which they remain undefeated on the season. Yet if history serves as any indication, tonight will be anything but easy—Duke has not won in Chapel Hill since 2007, losing its last three appearances at North Carolina by a combined 56 points.

“We’re just excited,” head coach Joanne P. McCallie said Feb. 4. “It will be a very physical game, but poise and focus will be a big part of it.”

Although the Jan. 31 thumping delivered by Connecticut still lingers, the Blue Devils appear back on track after a strong performance Thursday night against Miami. Playing like a team with something to prove, No. 3 Duke (21-1, 7-0) saw a strong performance by freshman Richa Jackson.

Jackson has been especially impressive as of late, beyond just her 13-point, 9-rebound performance against the Hurricanes. Playing with aggression in the matchup against the Huskies, McCallie rewarded Jackson with her first career start Thursday. Despite missing five games in December due to an injury and still nursing her hurt shoulder, she will be called upon again tonight against the Tar Heels.

“Richa is very tough kid,” McCallie said. “She can defend with an attitude, and she can also rebound with an attitude. [She is] very confident in her offense and it just sort of flows.... Frankly it’s her toughness. She’s a competitor.”

The play of senior Jasmine Thomas will need to improve if Duke is to come away with a victory. While Thomas has had a strong season, averaging 14.5 points and 2.5 steals a game, the Fairfax, Va. native has struggled from the field of late. Shooting just 6-of-23 in her last two games, Thomas will need to step up if she is to see her first victory in Carmichael.

North Carolina has been nearly perfect at home on the season, losing only one game at the hands of the same dominant Connecticut squad. Winning their last three home games by an average of about 17 points each, the Tar Heels come in playing some of their best basketball of the season.

Led by the play of senior guard Italee Lucas, North Carolina will look to dominate the match with the fifth-best offense in the country. The Tar Heels are averaging 81.3 points per game, with Lucas contributing 17 a game to that total. Also noteworthy is the strong defensive play of North Carolina, as the Tar Heels force an incredible 22.7 turnovers a game.

Although the matchup will provide challenges on both ends of the court, McCallie emphasized the importance of team play in achieving victory.

“[It’s about] rebounding, passing the basketball and playing together,” McCallie said. “It’s always hard. But if we welcome it and if we have an edge about ourselves, we can do something really neat.”

Share and discuss “Duke looks for first win in Carmichael since ‘07” on social media.