Bell urges Durham to ‘connect’

Mayor Bill Bell delivered his, “State of the City” address Monday. He spoke about the successes of 2010 and outlook for 2011.

Durham is about “creating connections” in 2011, Mayor Bill Bell said Monday night.

During his “State of the City” address at City Hall Plaza, Bell spoke of literal connections, like the city’s recently enhanced transportation system, as well as figurative ones, which included connecting citizens with employers and youth with the community’s resources.

Bell addressed an audience of City Council members, local officials and other Durhamites, speaking broadly of progress the city government made in 2010 as well as its outlook for 2011. Bell said he will focus on four areas in the upcoming year: the economy, neighborhood revitalization, public transit and the city’s strategic plan.

“Clearly, our challenge this year is to continue building on those connections as well as creating some new connections that will keep Durham on the top of lists—not just statewide, or nationwide, but also worldwide. So let’s look ahead,” Bell said.

Bell showed a video featuring prominent Durham residents speaking about the city’s successes in 2010. Duke Head Basketball Coach Mike Krzyzewski compared building a year of connections in Durham to building a year of championships at Duke. In addition, City Council members spoke of major accomplishments like the launch of the Bull City Connector, the bus service connecting Duke with Durham.

Other highlights from the video featured the Project Homeless Connect Day, a one-day event offering a wide range of services to the homeless in Durham, and the Durham JobLink Career Center, an effort to connect Durham residents looking for work with job opportunities.

Concerning the economy, Bell praised Durham’s AAA bond rating and its recent appearance as one of The New York Times’ “41 Places to Go in 2011.”

Although Bell recognized that many Durham residents are still enduring the effects of the economy downturn, Bell pointed to improvement in the construction market as “a good sign that we’re moving in the right direction.” The mayor also emphasized the city government’s role in facilitating a business-friendly environment.

He referenced grants from The Walmart Foundation and the United States Environmental Protection Agency as tools for the city government to support local economic growth. Some of those funds, for example, will support a green job training program.

Bell also drew attention to neighborhood revitalization, particularly the Southside and Rolling Hills development project. The city government will soon award a contract for the demolition of houses in the area, and the Center for Community Self Help is scheduled to begin construction on 10 to 20 new homes by the early summer.

Bell reiterated his desire to continue with the revitalization plan despite the opposition of some citizens. He cited several other Durham facilities that initially faced public opposition but later proved beneficial to the community.

“Where would our city be if all of these projects had not been completed, if the elected governing officials had not chosen to move forward because of some public opposition?” Bell asked the audience.

Bell concluded by urging the crowd to support the Durham Public Schools and Superintendent Eric Becoats’ strategic plan for the future.

“Every child deserves a quality education,” Bell noted.

Share and discuss “Bell urges Durham to ‘connect’” on social media.