Chicago Native Coach K On Jay Cutler

Chicago native and Weber High graduate Mike Krzyzewski has never made any secret about his love for his hometown teams. So, when asked about the injury to Jay Cutler—and subsequent controversy—during an interview Monday, he, like any fan, had an opinion.

And according to USA Today, which conducted the interview, he didn't think Cutler supported his teammates enough.

"When you can't play, you still have to be part (of the team)," Krzyzewski said Monday when asked about the game during an interview. "You should be encouraging the guy in for you, unless you have to go back to the training room. Your body is not there, but keep your spirit in there."

By today, Krzyzewski had slightly changed his opinion on the matter, telling radio station 99.9 The Fan that the media's perception of Cutler had contributed to him seeming uncaring. From the Fayetteville Observer:

“If a guy’s hurt, that team is not going to let him play,” Krzyzewski said. “If he can’t play he can’t play. But because of (Cutler’s) reputation or the perception that he doesn’t always have a great face, what they portrayed on the sidelines was something that you wouldn’t want to see. He wasn’t interacting. At least what we saw on TV. But then after the game they talked about how he did interact with his teammates.”

Without giving too much away, I will say that The Chronicle was privy to watch the recording of Krzyzewski's Sirius/XM radio show today (article coming soon!), and the Cutler issue is brought up. Krzyzewski is not harsh on the quarterback, and echoes what he told 99.9 The Fan—that Cutler was not lingering on the injury, but did look uncaring on the sidelines. That should be the end of the matter.

Now, can the rest of the sports media world also stop talking about it?

Share and discuss “Chicago Native Coach K On Jay Cutler” on social media.