Calorie labeling may have little impact, study shows

If you knew that your McDonalds go-to meal of a double cheeseburger and fries could run you nearly 1000 calories, would you opt for a salad?

Probably not, according to a recent study by Duke University and Seattle-King County Public Health. The study reports that nutritional labeling and displayed calorie information in fast food restaurants may not cause people to make healthier choices.

The state of Washington approved a nutritional labeling law in 2009, requiring chains to post their calorie counts alongside menu items. Researchers discovered, though, that sales figures were consistent across various Washington-based Taco Time fast food joints—whether or not they posted nutritional information.

The study cited several possible reasons, such as customers’ claims that they typically eat healthy and the fast food is a one-time treat.

Nadine Chan, assistant chief of assessment, policy development and evaluation with Seattle-King County Public Health, said to KTVB.com that customers who did consider calorie information tended to make healthier choices.

"For the people who said they used the calorie information, that there was a decrease in the average calories they consumed," Chan said.

Other studies in 2009 reported that menu labeling led to a lower intent to purchase high-calorie items.

Researchers at Seattle-King County Public Health said more research will be conducted with Duke University in the next few months. A joint report will be published in the “American Journal of Preventive Medicine” in February.

Until then, pass the fries, please.

Share and discuss “Calorie labeling may have little impact, study shows” on social media.