$5K Kenan-Biddle grants awarded to ten student projects

Ten projects designed by students from both UNC and Duke have each been awarded a $5,000 grant as part of the inaugural Kenan-Biddle Partnership class, part of an effort to increase collaboration between the two schools.

“We received more than 90 proposals, which made the selection process highly competitive,” said Ronald Strauss, executive associate provost at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and co-chair of the grant selection committee, in a Duke news release. “We are confident that the 10 projects chosen are well designed to achieve the benefits intended by the partnership.”

Originally, the student proposal deadline was changed from Nov. 15 to Nov. 22 after no applications were submitted and several requests were made by students to extend the deadline.

Grants awarded include scholarly projects such as Duke-UNC Bhutanese Empowerment Project, Triangle University Food Studies, Duke/UNC-Chapel Hill Working Group in Contemporary Poetry and Females Excelling More in Math, Engineering and Science.

Applicants were required to include at least one public exhibition, presentation or performance for each proposal and were chosen by a committee of students and administrators from both Duke and UNC.

The grants, which are funded by the William R. Kenan, Jr. Charitable Trust and the Mary Duke Biddle Foundation, were created to strengthen and create relationships between the two campuses.

“We have experienced many successful collaborative efforts between students from our two great schools,” said Larry Moneta, vice president for student affairs and co-chair of the grant selection committee, in a Duke news release. “I have no doubt this group of Kenan-Biddle Partnership grantees will contribute admirably to our mutual benefit.”

Proposals for the 2012 class of grant recipients will begin to be accepted in November.

Share and discuss “$5K Kenan-Biddle grants awarded to ten student projects” on social media.