Reactions From The Fans In The Walk-Up Line

They survived freezing temperatures, a tornado warning and conditions more suitable to a third-world country. But they made it to the game Wednesday against Michigan State. And most thought it was worth it.

Several hundred Duke students camped out for days—without the luxuries given to students in the spring (like, you know, tents). I talked to members of the walk-up line, made up predominately of freshman, to get their reactions on spending as much as four days outside, under just tarps and in sleeping bags. The overwhelming feeling: Mixed.

Group One, made up of freshmen who had begun sleeping out on Saturday night, said it was a "joint decision" to camp out.

"Yeah, joint stupidity," added another.

A third freshman in Group One explained how a tornado warning on Tuesday night added to the already non-ideal living situation.

"They said there was a weather advisory warning and that they might come and get us. Then at 4 a.m., they roll up in a golf cart and someone with an airhorn said that there was a potential tornado warning, and that we could go back to East. But there were no buses running. So we stayed out there."

The lack of buses appeared to be a common problem. A freshman named Robbie in Group 10 had to take a taxi from West to East, he said.

Another freshman named Jerry (Group 25) said the weather "had put a damper on things" but that he would still be back in January. He added that he had no regrets—as long as Duke won Wednesday night.

As a sidenote, our reporters on press row covering the game were treated to a fan who looked sickly (not drunk) vomiting behind the row during the game. Needless to say, probably not the best conditions outside for anyone who was ill.

Share and discuss “Reactions From The Fans In The Walk-Up Line” on social media.