Committee submits remaining evaluations

DUSDAC met to present the remaining evaluations for campus eateries Monday. They also discussed updates to Alpine Atrium and Alpine Bagels. Next semester, Alpine Bagels will have a larger presence in K-ville for tenters.

Members of Duke University Student Dining Advisory Committee presented the remaining end-of-semester evaluations for campus eateries Monday night.

The group discussed recent and upcoming changes for various campus restaurants, including Twinnie’s, Alpine Bagels, the Freeman Center and the Great Hall.

DUSDAC members gave Twinnie’s mixed reviews. The committee praised the cafe for its wide variety of vegetarian options but criticized the venue’s lack of vegan and gluten-free foods. Senior Mark Elstein said that gluten free items are the cafe’s “next major project.”

Members also talked about updates to Alpine Atrium and Alpine Bagels. Next semester, Alpine Bagels will seek to establish a presence in Krzyzewskiville by setting up a tent to sell coffee and bagels to tenters, senior Helen Zhang wrote in her evaluation. Furthermore, because 80 percent of sales at Alpine Atrium are to-go, the venue is working to increase business by decreasing turnover times. The committee also noted that students looking to avoid long lines at Alpine Bagels in the morning should go to Alpine Atrium, which serves the same bagels and generally has a shorter line.

The Freeman Center was complimented for its relaxed atmosphere and its options for vegans, vegetarians and students with food allergies. The committee noted, however, that the facility’s small kitchen gets more business than it was intended to sustain.

DUSDAC praised the Great Hall for its commitment to environmental sustainability as well as its responsiveness to student requests.

Junior Benjamin Berman commended the management of the Great Hall, calling Resident District Manager Nate Peterson a “sustainability superhero” for his commitment to green dining initiatives such as the Farm to Fork campaign. But members also noted that students sometimes complain about employee service.

DUSDAC also noted changes to the Refectory Cafe, including new grilled cheese sandwiches, vegan noodles and a wider selection of paninis. In the near future, the eatery will exclude high-fructose corn syrup from its offerings—even in its ketchup.

Additionally, Blue Express is seeking to expand its customer base, according to the report on the venue. Members compared the current customer base to a cult.

“I think a lot of kids don’t know about Blue Express,” said DUSDAC co-Chair Andrew Schreiber, a senior. “A lot of my friends have never heard of it, unless they’re pre-med.”

The Tower, which is popular among Edens residents, was praised for having healthier options than Tommy’s, the venue it replaced over the summer. But members also criticized the eatery for its ordering system, an issue DUSDAC has attempted to resolve in the past.

Big changes may also soon be coming to The Greek Devil. The food stand will offer falafel next semester and possibly gift cards. The Greek Devil may also launch a new food cart featuring fruits, Greek yogurt, juices and fragrant candied nuts.

“They should put it next to Panda to neutralize or supersede that smell,” Schreiber said, evoking the group’s laughter.

On East Campus, Trinity Cafe has seen more than an 100 percent increase in sales since the new freshmen credit system—which gives freshmen a $4 lunch credit if they miss breakfast and a $12 alternative to the Marketplace in the evening.

The cafe has also been attempting to rebrand itself as a destination for socializing by offering board games and loud music on weekends.

“I’m sure the students in Brown Residence Hall appreciate that,” Elstein joked.

Share and discuss “Committee submits remaining evaluations” on social media.