Local voters share opinions on political landscape

With turnout for the 2010 midterm election lagging far behind the 2008 presidential election, some voters said there is a lack of enthusiasm for this year’s race.

Duke students and local citizens headed to the polls yesterday to cast their ballots and elect the nation’s politicians. Durham County has approximately 166,000 registered voters, about 48 percent of whom participated in the election, according to preliminary results updated at 1 a.m. today. The turnout lagged behind the 2008 presidential election, when nearly 77 percent of registered voters cast ballots, but surpassed the 39 percent turnout of registered voters in the 2006 midterm election. The Chronicle’s Yeshwanth Kandmalla asked voters at local poll sites about the American political landscape and their thoughts on the 2010 elections.

“The tone’s changed a lot. It’s much more negative, defensive.”

—Annelise Mesler, junior

“There is definitely an enthusiasm gap. I can feel it—I am part of it.”

—Rodrigo Dorfman, Trinity ’89

“It’s going to be a lot more filibustering, a lot more nothing getting done.”

—J.J. Hoff, senior

“Students have also realized the national stakes in voting. Even if they’re not familiar with local politics, they should make their voice heard.”

—Gunther Peck, Fred W. Shaffer associate professor of history and public policy

“[Obama] is not Superman. He’s doing what he can.... [The outcome] is in God’s and the people’s hands.”

—Shelley Horsford, Durham resident

“I would vote for some change if there’s a viable option. I really want to check extreme agendas.”

—Sampath Rangaswamy, software consultant in Durham

“I’m not really familiar with the issues. I’m ignorant, but not apathetic—the least I can do is vote.”

—Aaron Sandel, Trinity ’10

Share and discuss “Local voters share opinions on political landscape” on social media.