LIVE BLOG: No. 6 Duke 121, Carson-Newman 65 (FINAL)

Duke 121, Carson-Newman 65 - FINAL

The Blue Devils hit the 120-point mark following Jackson's two made free throws. The Eagles get the ball, but Wells manages a steal in the last 10 seconds of the game.

Final Stats -

Chloe Wells: 24 points, 2 rebounds, 2 assists, 9 steals

Tricia Liston: 20 points, 6 rebounds, 1 assist, 0 steals

Jasmine Thomas - 16 points, 4 rebounds, 8 assists, 3 steals

Kathleen Scheer - 14 points, 10 rebounds, 2 assists, 3 steals

Krystal Thomas - 10 points, 9 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 steal

Karima Christmas - 11 points, 1 rebound, 6 assists, 3 steals

Look for a game story in Monday's print version of The Chronicle!

Duke 119, Carson-Newman 65, 27.1 seconds remaining in the second half

Liston continues through with strong offensive rebounding and posts 20 points (second after Wells' 23).  The Blue Devils have possession of the ball with 27 seconds remaining (and 18 on the shot clock).

Duke 114, Carson-Newman 62 - 1:49 left in the second half

The pace of the game seems to have slowed. Krystal Thomas is at 9 rebounds and 10 points and needs only one more rebound for a double-double. Scheer holds 14 points and 10 rebounds, her second double-double this season.

Duke 110, Carson-Newman 55 - 4:17 left in the second half

Wells has definitely earned the respect and admiration of fans, with a significant number of people standing and clapping after she is substituted back in. The team seems to be be in less foul trouble--except for Peters, who has 4--though the team has 9 to the Eagles' 4.

Duke 108, Carson-Newman 50 - 6:03 left in the second half

Carson-Newman still looks rushed on the court, though they are now more aggressive with offensive rebounding. The morale in Cameron is incredibly high right now despite a very poor showing from the student section--just a rough estimate, but probably 90% of those sitting in the student section are adults or family.

Duke 104, Carson-Newman 46 - 7:30 left in the second half

Liston (who is now at 18 points) pulls through with three rapid plays--a two point jumper, a steal and a layup--that builds momentum for the Blue Devils and even draws a slight smile on head coach Joanne P. McCallie's face. Duke has broken into triple-digits and seem to be doing a better job of not rushing its shots.

Duke 99, Carson-Newman 45 - 9:58 left in the second half

Rushed play from both sides are causing both teams to look sloppy on the court, with players overthrowing passes and hitting many rim shots. Though the Blue Devils are managing to score, this rushed period of play (with an abundance of missed shots) will definitely take its toll on the team's field goal percentage.

Duke 93, Carson-Newman 45 - 11:16 left in the second half

With the Eagles increasing the tempo of the game, the Blue Devils are starting to fall into a pattern of quick shooting, causing multiple missed shots.

Duke 91, Carson-Newman 43 - 12:30 left in the second half

Duke is getting into some heavy foul trouble, with Jasmine Thomas, Christmas, Jackson, Peters and Krystal Thomas all having three fouls. The only player on the court right now without fouls is Wells. A substitution brings Scheer in, and she immediately scores for the Blue Devils.

Duke 86, Carson-Newman 38 - 13:53 left in the second half

The Eagles are picking up the pace and are being more aggressive offensively and actively rebounding more, as well.

Duke 80, Carson-Newman 35 - 16:27 left in the second half

The Blue Devils come back from halftime with a new line-up -- Jasmine Thomas, Krystal Thomas, Christmas, Scheer and Wells. They seem to be playing faster-paced basketball and are pressing harder on defense, with two steals from Jasmine followed by layups from inside the paint.

Duke 62, Carson-Newman 29 - halftime

The thing that stands out the most from the first half is easily the performance from the freshmen, particularly Wells. Just looking at a stats sheet, she leads the team in points with 17 and has played 14 minutes. She has made 7 of 8 field goals and three of three 3-point field goals. She also leads the team in number of steals with 7, eclipsing the second-closest person (another freshman, Liston) by four. Well is incredibly scrappy and possesses a very quick instinct and feel for where the ball is going. The other freshmen have proven to be valuable as well, with Peters holding the second-highest number of points with 10 in 10 minutes played, as well as one assist, one block and two steals. She does, however, seem to be getting in foul trouble with three fouls already. Liston has 9 points on the board and three steals, and Jackson holds 7 points. Chelsea Gray has yet to make an appearance; she doesn't appear to be suited up for the game.

Duke 55, Carson-Newman 22 - 1:48 left in the first half

Back to a relatively all-freshmen (Peters, Liston, Wells, Jackson) line-up with the exception of Krystal Thomas, who subbed in for Vernerey. Wells proves incredibly scrappy and quick, as she steals the ball back from the Eagles following a Blue Devil turnover. A minute and a half later, she grabs the loose ball from a Carson-Newman player who loses it during a dribble and rushes down the court to make an easy layup. Peters seems to be getting in foul trouble, earning her third foul and being subbed out by Vernerey.

Duke 51, Carson-Newman 21 - 3:43 left in the first half

Solid performance from the freshmen -  a three-pointer from Wells, followed by a rebound (then a two-point jumper from inside the paint) by Peters. And a three-pointer from Liston, followed by a steal from Thomas and a pass to (and layup from) Peters and another scored shot from Wells. Duke's streak is finally broken by a three from Carson-Newman, but the Blue Devil momentum is not lost, as Wells makes another three.

Duke 36, Carson-Newman 15, 7:17 left in the first half

The Blue Devils are quick on getting their own rebounds and manage to make up for shots missed by making them on the second or third attempt. Duke's height proves to be a definite advantage, as Selby just reached over someone's head and grabbed the rebound from Shceer's missed three to pass the ball back to Scheer for an easy layup.

Duke 30, Carson-Newman 10, 9:23 left in the first half

The last three shots have been back-and-forth between the Blue Devils and the Eagles, and a time-out is called after another Carson-Newman shot is made.

Duke 28, Carson-Newman 8, 9:38 left in the first half

Another shot from inside the point gives Carson-Newman another two points. Scheer is up to the line for free throws and proceeds to miss both. Liston is substituted out for Christmas. Duke has six team fouls (to the Eagles' 3), with Jasmine, Christmas, Jackson, Peters and Scheer each having one. Jasmine and Allison Vernerey are in, with Scheer and Wells out. Carson-Newmann at the free-throw line--a missed shot. Duke gets the rebound and makes a two, but the Eagles quickly come back with a three-pointer.

Duke 24, Carson-Newman 3, 11:42 left in the first half

Duke comes back from the time-out with three freshmen on the court--Wells, Peters, Richa Jackson and Tricia Liston. Scheer, a junior, remains the only upperclassmen. A three-pointer puts Carson-Newman on the board, but Duke is quick to retaliate and now leads by over 20 points.

Duke 18, Carson-Newman 0, 12:52 left in the first half

Layup from Jasmine following a steal from Christmas. The Eagles have yet to put themselves on the board. A three-pointer increases Duke's lead even more, and Jasmine leads the board with 8 points. A missed shot then rebound from freshman Haley Peters allows Krystal to score from inside the paint, followed by two more shots from Duke. Turnovers seem to be a big issue for the Eagles.

Duke 7, Carson-Newman 0, 15:53 left in the first half

The Blue Devils are much bigger than the Eagles and definitely demonstrate more physicality on the court, though the opponents are very scrappy and fight for every ball. One made free-throw from Jasmine, as well as a two-point jumper from right behind the free throw line. Another jumper from the paint puts Scheer on the board, as well.

Duke 2, Carson-Newman 0, 18:28 left in the first half

The Blue Devils come off to a strong start with a two-point jumper made by Christmas.

Duke 0, Carson-Newman 0; Tip-Off

Starting line-up:

Carson-Newman - 4 Candis Clear, 10 Katlin Moore, 24 Mandy Mendenhall, 34 Courdne Miles, 35 Shannon Depew

Duke - 3 Shay Selby, 5 Jasmine Thomas, 13 Karima Christmas, 24 Kathleen Scheer, 34 Krystal Thomas

Duke vs. Carson-Newman Preview

The preseason No. 6 ranked Blue Devils are coming off a 88-44 win against Wingate Wednesday and are looking to host their second exhibition game against the Eagles at 2 p.m. today in Cameron Indoor Stadium. Carson-Newman went 24-7 last year and held a South Atlantic Conference of 11-5 and returns three starters and 11 letter-winners. Duke finished last season 30-6 and earned first place in the regular ACC season with a 12-2 record as well as winning the ACC Tournament. The team reached the Elite Eight of the NCAA Tournament before falling to Baylor 48-51.

Share and discuss “LIVE BLOG: No. 6 Duke 121, Carson-Newman 65 (FINAL)” on social media.