Label Abstract Logix hosts first music festival

Jazz heads and Deadheads, rejoice. This weekend at the Lincoln Theater in Raleigh, local record label Abstract Logix is hosting the inaugural New Universe Music Festival, a two-day event that features some of the most influential figures in jazz and rock.

The lineup consists of essentially a who’s who of “jazz fusion”—Ranjit Barot, Lenny White, John McLaughlin—but the organizers stress that to place any kind of label on the music would fail to do it justice.

“The music we are presenting might be categorized as jazz or jazz-rock, but honestly the music that will happen at the festival covers a lot of musical grounds,” Abstract Logix founder Souvik Dutta said in an e-mail. “Overall the music defies any categorization. We are presenting rock, jazz, blues, world music.”

Even the choice of venue represents a departure from traditional notions of jazz.

“I was looking for a club with a ‘rock’ vibe, and I could not think of a better place in our area,” Dutta said in reference to the Lincoln Theater,

The whole of the musical spectrum seems to be represented by the diverse array of artists performing. Zakir Hussain is a master of traditional Indian music; Wayne Krantz performed extensively with jazz-rock icons Steely Dan; and Jimmy Herring is best known for his work with Widespread Panic, the Allman Brothers and the Dead.

Though the technical skill of the bands may strike some as intimidating, New Universe is not just a musician’s festival.

“The audience is everyone who loves the purity of honest music,” Dutta said. “I want the music to be heard and enjoyed by everyone.”

Drummer Lenny White—renowned for his work on Miles Davis’ Bitches Brew and with Chick Corea’s landmark jazz-fusion outfit Return to Forever—emphasized that the styles should appeal to younger listeners through their connections to other genres.

“[The Triangle] is a college area, and a lot of college kids are into improvised music,” White said. “This is where jam-band music comes from.”

All of the festival’s headliners have recorded albums on Abstract Logix. The label, founded in 2003 and based in Cary, is a multi-faceted company that handles recording, distribution, marketing and artist management, as well as fosters a community of fans and musicians through online forums. Dutta says this working relationship has helped create a unique environment for New Universe.

“There is a great sense of respect and love among all the musicians, every one of them; [they] feel that this a very special, one-of-a-kind event,” he said.

Organizing a festival in addition to the responsibilities of running a record label has presented certain challenges, Dutta admits.

“The festival is a big undertaking,” Dutta said. “To present over 28 world-class musicians on the same stage for two days is quite a task.”

With people coming from as far as Australia, Japan, Europe and India, however, Dutta said, he is confident that the work is worthwhile.

The company’s website insists that, in spite of all the studio work they do, live performance comes first and foremost. White agreed, placing particular emphasis on the instrumental aspect of the performances.

“It’s very easy to go see Lady Gaga on TV and the radio, but to get real musicians playing real instruments and improvising is getting harder to experience,” he said. “I hope what [New Universe] will do is bring closer to the front musicians that play instruments and… give a forum for audiences to come and check it out.”

If only for two days, New Universe intends to highlight a realm of music that is struggling to maintain a foothold in today’s market. Regardless of its stylistic evolution, the heart of this event is jazz music, and it deserves a place in the current landscape.

“You have jazz, an American art form, and it’s gone through a lot of different looks and changes, but it’s still jazz,” White said. “If jazz is wine, it’s like bringing wine to a kool-aid fest.”

New Universe Music Festival takes place Nov. 21 and 22 at Lincoln Theatre in Raleigh. Advance tickets are available: $37 advance sale and $45 day of show on Saturday; $57 and $65 Sunday; and $90 for both days. For more information, visit www.abstractlogix.com/festival2010.

Share and discuss “Label Abstract Logix hosts first music festival” on social media.