Group discusses potential changes to Joe College Day

Members of DUU discussed the upcoming Matisyahu concert and ideas to improve the quality of Joe College Day at its meeting Tuesday.

At its meeting Tuesday night, Duke University Union reviewed proposals to improve Joe College Day.

Members approved a request by Joe College Day Chair Nathan Nye, a sophomore, to change the way the next chair is chosen in order to allow a longer period of time for committee development and artist selection. He said the date of chair selection should be moved up to the first Friday of the Spring semester.

“It’s a lot of time but I’d rather be on that side as opposed to not enough time,” Nye said.

Nye also proposed splitting Joe College Day into two smaller “welcome back” events at the beginning of each semester. The idea generated some criticism as DUU members doubted the success of a second-semester welcome back event.

Union members said an event in the beginning of the Spring semester would take place in cold weather and would happen during time-consuming events like rush and tenting.

Sophomore Alex Shapanka, chair of the Speakers and Stage committee, suggested combining the Freshman Intern Program with Joe College Day. Other executive board members questioned the suggestion’s viability.

“I don’t think people who have no experience should take on an event that has failed,” said senior Jeremy Steinman, Freewater Presentations chair.

Members said one of the reasons for this year’s low attendance was because students were preoccupied with midterms. Certain potential dates for Joe College Day were ruled out because of their proximity to midterms, they added.

“This is a school where kids have midterms eight days away and are at the library on a Sunday,” Nye said. “[At this year’s Joe College Day] people left the library, got Bulkogi and went back to the library.”

In other business:

The presale for Matisyahu started Tuesday. Major Attractions Chair Karen Chen, a senior, said DUU reported selling 516 tickets and have 716 tickets left to sell. The general public ticket sale begins Thursday.

Matisyahu will perform Nov. 17 in Page Auditorium.

Student tickets are being sold for $15, and tickets for the general public will cost $30.

“The tickets went pretty steadily throughout the day today,” Chen said. “Hopefully we’ll reach a lot more community members.”

Share and discuss “Group discusses potential changes to Joe College Day” on social media.