Duke sweeps Tar Heels and Wolfpack

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. — Head coach Jolene Nagel was so excited during Saturday’s match against North Carolina that something unexpected happened.

“At one point, I clapped, and my bracelet just broke,” Nagel said. “Isn’t that funny? I was just so excited!”

Nagel’s excitement was warranted—Duke (21-4, 13-2 in the ACC) not only managed to beat its rival but clinched the No. 1 spot in the conference with a three-set demolition of the Tar Heels (25-14, 25-16, 25-19). The Blue Devils also swept N.C. State in Raleigh on Saturday.

“We’ve come [to Chapel Hill] in these past few years and not played our best, and we really wanted to make our statement and change that. We’ve been fighting for the No. 1 spot in the ACC and had a lot to work for, and everyone just came out with a great attitude,” said setter Kellie Catanach, who had 34 assists and seven digs for the night and led the team to a .342 hitting percentage. “We’re in the driver’s seat now, and we’re in control, so all we have to do is take care of business.”

This weekend marked the second time this season that Duke has swept North Carolina (21-7, 12-3) and N.C. State in a two-day span. The Blue Devils also accomplished the feat Oct. 8 and 9.

Duke made only three errors per set against North Carolina, whereas the Tar Heels had 19 total. In the first set, the Blue Devils held their opponents to a .073 hitting percentage and stayed aggressive throughout, siding out on 13 of North Carolina’s 15 serves. The second set had Duke on an early 8-2 run that helped the team finish the set with a 9-point lead.

Behind a large crowd in Carmichael Arena, North Carolina rallied in the third set, but the Tar Heels were unable to hold their 12-10 lead when the Blue Devils went on a 7-2 run and promptly ended the set.

“Our team played very well, and I’m really excited with how they were able to come out and play their game,” Nagel said. “I felt like they really were focused, and this is probably one of the most mature teams that understands what needs to be done in order to be successful.”

Share and discuss “Duke sweeps Tar Heels and Wolfpack” on social media.