Thoughts on the AP Poll, Week 7

1) BCS drama has returned.

Now that the AP No. 1 has lost two weeks in a row—Alabama two weeks ago to South Carolina and Ohio State this week to Wisconsin—the race for the national title is truly up for grabs. The AP Poll has Oregon at No. 1, followed by Boise State and Oklahoma, while the BCS has Oklahoma at No. 1, followed by Oregon and then Boise State. With all the upheaval this season, if Boise State goes undefeated and doesn't make the national title game (yet again), it could be the final nail in the BCS's coffin.

2) The ACC is improving—albeit slightly.

Two ACC teams—Miami at No. 25 and Virginia Tech at No. 23—returned to the Top 25 this week to join No. 16 Florida State as the only ranked ACC teams. Much like last season, ACC teams seem to be rotating in and out of the Top 25 on a weekly basis—but at least now the conference has more ranked teams than the lowly Big East.

3) Watch out for Michigan State in the national title race.

As much as it pains this Wolverine to say it, the Spartans now might be the dark horse to make the BCS Championship game. Since Michigan State does not play Ohio State this season thanks to the Big 10's wacky scheduling, the Spartans now have a clear shot at the Big 10 title. The road won't be easy, though—Michigan State still has to play both Iowa and Penn State on the road this season.

Share and discuss “Thoughts on the AP Poll, Week 7” on social media.